BAD MECHANIC ISSUE ::::::ADVICE WELCOME::::::: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i took a road trip to visit the family in Cincinnati. MPG was up around 14 and temp gauge showed normal the whole trip. When i got to Cincy i opened the hood and there was a slow drip from the bottom of the car leaking antifreeze. Also a little antifreeze leaking from the radiator cap.

Took it to a local toyota mechanic that had good reviews and they ran a pressure test. Radiator was gone. Big money for a new radiator and i had them change the oil while they were at it because i knew it was overdue and i had just purchased the rig one week ago from a private buyer.

2 things:

They charged me $30 a gallon (*2 - sixty bucks total) for Toyota Pink OEM anitfreeze. There is green antifreeze in the radiator, not pink Toyota OEM. Should i raise hell? Should i ask for a refund for the differnece? I know some people use green in their rigs.

I told them to do a conventional oil change and they used synthetic. Should i drain it and fill back with conventional? It has 232k on it and has always run conventional. I know that seals develop over time with liquids and i dont want to spring a leak. I told him 3 times to use conventional.

Appreciate you guys.

I say oil is no prob. Antifreeze isn't a problem either but I would raise hell if they charged you for expensive stuff and used cheap stuff.

I've learned the hard way to not switch to synthetic after strictly conventional. A leakless rig sprung several...

I'd drain and refill. But that's just me...

seems like not that big of a deal to me, move on to other things and just drive the truck. We are not talking about a major repair here. Are you really that upset about pink antifreeze and synthetic oil? If so, ask for the difference back. If it was a toyota dealer they most likely will always use their toyota product.

The seal issues should be much less of a problem nowadays. In the past, yeah, this could be a big issue, but they're supposed to have gotten the seal problems pretty much squared away with some changes in oil chemistry and additives.

Red mixed with green can be a problem, lots of info here if you search. The main issue is mixing them. The question is was the coolant already mixed by the PO or did they fully flush the system prior to adding green in the first place? If it was me, I'd flush everything and start with red again.

As for the price of the red, that's an OK price, as retail is pretty high on that stuff.

its the principle of the matter, its customer service, its listening to your business patron. When you spend your hard earned money then you expect for them to carry out your requests.

when i have a 5 minute conversation with you about the vehicle and we agree that pink toyota should be used and that we should stick to conventional motor oil because of the vehicle history then that is what should happen. maybe im just venting here.

original question i was concerned about was should i drain and refill with conventional. I'm going to call about getting charged for $60 worth of pink Toyota and getting green instead.

Was the green listed as "compatible with all formulations" or some such claim? if so, don't worry about it. If it wasn't, then you should have them flush the system completely and refill it with fresh anti-freeze especially since they are supposed to be the pros and know not to mix incompatible fluids/coolants together. This I would pursue.

The oil, just drain and fill it when you get home, leave the new filter and don't ever thing about it again. Most crappy mechanics lie about using synthetic anyway. :lol: This I wouldn't pursue.

Just 2 cents....

ugggggghhhhhhhh, are you for real??????

so the guy made a mistake? he's human. I thought you said you told them to use green coolant? a relationship with a mechanic is a give and take. Give the guy a break if you like his work or go elsewhere.

I'd complain about both, have both redone the way you wanted. Problem is mixing ANY antifreeze with ANY other antifreeze. That's my big concern. Also, I don't know much about Toyota pink but it's the Toyota Red you were wanting.

They charged a premium for $30 a gallon antifreeze and didn't put it in my truck. Green is $10 per gallon. So yea im a litte irritated.

i didnt ask them to use green, i had a convo and they agreed that toyota pink was the way to go. i also got their input on conventional vs synethetic on a rig this old and they confirmed conventional.

there is no relationship as i mentioned i was randomly in a foreign city with an issue. i got a couple references from the toyota dealerships.

i was just trying to get advice in regards to the oil and antifreeze

appreciate the advice!

I'd complain about both, have both redone the way you wanted. Problem is mixing ANY antifreeze with ANY other antifreeze. That's my big concern. Also, I don't know much about Toyota pink but it's the Toyota Red you were wanting.
Green+Red=Sludge, and seal failure.
BTW, the red is "90,000" mile change interval, the green, not so much.

Talk with the same guy as a concerned customer that cares about an accurate invoice to match the work performed, not a disgruntled guy who is going to bash them any chance he gets.

There is a difference between pink, red, and green antifreeze, what is it? I don't know... Your 80 should have red in it. Pink is for the newer stuff. Green will be fine of course.

Comparing the price of something to what you can buy the cheapest stuff at the parts store, is not a good point for an argument. It just doesn't work like that..

Basically, give them the chance to make it right.

Being a Automotive Dealer Tech I would say take it back and talk to the service manager. New seals won't care the difference between conventional and synthetic but old worn seal do. I have seen many high mileage cars just switch to synthetic and back in a weak cause its leaking in various places. Next I have seen a car use conventional green coolant instead of the Mitsubishi blue and it had overheating issues. If you love your truck rake it back and get it fixed. Cars, like people, get set in their ways and when forced to change they throw giant temper tantrums. Good luck and welcome.

They charged a premium for $30 a gallon antifreeze and didn't put it in my truck. Green is $10 per gallon. So yea im a litte irritated.

i didnt ask them to use green, i had a convo and they agreed that toyota pink was the way to go. i also got their input on conventional vs synethetic on a rig this old and they confirmed conventional.

there is no relationship as i mentioned i was randomly in a foreign city with an issue. i got a couple references from the toyota dealerships.

i was just trying to get advice in regards to the oil and antifreeze
I agree..if simple requests cannot be followed after a conversation on your requests , get them to rectify their **** up ..and I also would not be pleased about being charged for a higher priced item & getting the cheap sh1t

There was no "mistake" about putting in green and charging for red. After you have calmed down ask them to refund the price difference. If they don't try consumer law if you have that. I would call that theft by deception. I would also change the oil at your earliest convenience. You have no leg to stand on regarding the different oil as they will claim this is what you told them so just drop it and move on. Pity they can't be named and shamed!!! Good luck. cheers Brian

I spoke with them this morning and asked about the $30/gallon pink i was invoiced for vs the green that is in my radiator. They claim they have switched vendors and that it is the toyota formula but that it's green, not pink/red.

Anyone heard of this?

Anyways, I drove 125 miles back to Indy yesterday and the temp gauge ran normal and there were no leaks or issues when i arrived home. There is a 2 year 24000 mile nationwide warranty on the radiator/work so that helps with peace of mind.

He also said the oil is only a semi synthetic blend and that I shouldn't worry about draining out and replacing with the Mobil 5w-30 conventional that has been running through it for the past 100k.

The seal issues should be much less of a problem nowadays. In the past, yeah, this could be a big issue, but they're supposed to have gotten the seal problems pretty much squared away with some changes in oil chemistry and additives.

Red mixed with green can be a problem, lots of info here if you search. The main issue is mixing them. The question is was the coolant already mixed by the PO or did they fully flush the system prior to adding green in the first place? If it was me, I'd flush everything and start with red again.

As for the price of the red, that's an OK price, as retail is pretty high on that stuff.

Red should be $20 per gallon. Hope they didn't charge you $10 for a gallon of distilled water! :D
It's called the stealer ship for a reason.

Run the oil and go back to what you used next time. Some ppl use different brand of oil every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom