BAD MECHANIC ISSUE ::::::ADVICE WELCOME::::::: (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I must clarify that I called both local toyota dealerships for quotes but they said they didn't have the radiator in stock. Both dealerships gave me a reference for Evan's Auto Care to do the service. This coincidently was also was the long time family shop that had always provided good work and honesty. Evan's did the service, not the dealership. Sorry, i had around 1000 beers yesterday watching football.

Seperate question, but what is the average life cycle for an aftermarket radiator? The original lasted to 167k. The one that i just replaced went from 167k to 232k (65000 miles).

There was green in the radiator that i had to replace so it wasn't a red to green transistion. I do recall seeing them running a hose through it with water gushing out the bottom. They took me back to show me the old radiator.

He said it was a seperate asian vendor that they are using now. same toyota formula but they don't dye it red or pink.

Okay. So just to clarify there is no real issue with running green right? I'm not going to call the guy back up and say Beno from the message boards says your full of sh!t (although your declaration is what i expected to hear, thank you).

It had green in before hand. Radiator went bad. They flushed and filled it back up with unspecified green (and i got charged for $60 worth of "Toyota Pink OEM".

You can use whatever you want. I run non-Toyota green in my 80 and my 60.

But if you paid for Red, you should have Red in it. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
If you brought the truck in with green, it should have green in it, if you brought the truck in with red it should have red in it. I do not think they are going to go through the trouble of flushing everything. Unless you specifically asked for it.

But if they put green in it they shouldn't charge $30 a gallon.

Its not Toyota coolant, now they are just lying! This is why I try to do repairs on my own vehicles at all costs, even if I don't know what I am doing. For some reason MOST of these shops are incompetent punks. (I said most, so don't get upset if you have a reputable shop)

Blast them on Yelp and Google reviews. If you have Angie's list blast them there too. Let other people know that they don't listen to their customers and then lie when confronted.

Last edited:
Coolant is like blood. Run what your currently running or you will have coagulation and it won't be good and you will have to post a "Guys you won't believe this" with nasty pictures.

Toyota Red is $20 gallon and mixed 50:50 Coolant to Water should keep you safe to about -40 Fahrenheit and last about 100K miles. Use Distilled water as it is about $1 per gallon and more pure then tap water (no chlorine, no minerals).

Here is how I do it and it seems to work:
Go buy a gallon of red. Get a clean 5 gallon bucket. Pour half of Red into bucket. Now pour 1/2 of Distilled into red jug and label 50:50. Now pour bucket of red into 1/2 distilled Jug and label. Use the water jug first as it will not seal as well. Keep leftover labeled Toyota Red for backup. Store it with your case of oil and filters so you know where it is at when you need it.

FWIW....I run Toyota Red in all my vehicles and they all have close to 200K and all original radiators/water pumps. I flush them every 100K or 5-7 yrs. This does not mean green is any better or worse. I'm sure with regular changing, it will work as well.

Coolant has buffers in it that keep PH from going to low and solution becoming acidic. Like oil it goes thru your engine millions of times so keep it fresh.

Life is short. If it is worth it to get your $20 back, then go do it.

If they were in the same town it would damn well be worth it. Its the principal of the matter. Don't piss in someone's face and tell them its raining !

Mechanics never pee in your face; they piss down your back and tell you it is raining.
But still, even though you have clearly been wronged, is it worth the $20 to be pissed off and jump in their face or just not do business with them?

Yea, I mean I'm over it. Was just kind of shocked that they didn't listen.

I dropped them an email asking for the name brand of this "Toyota spec green antifreeze" from their "new vendor". Told them i wanted to buy a gallon of my own to have in case something happened. Told them i didn't want to mix antifreezes. Will be interesting what name they come back to me with.

Yea, I mean I'm over it. Was just kind of shocked that they didn't listen.

I dropped them an email asking for the name brand of this "Toyota spec green antifreeze" from their "new vendor". Told them i wanted to buy a gallon of my own to have in case something happened. Told them i didn't want to mix antifreezes. Will be interesting what name they come back to me with.

I like it! :hmm:

Would not be surprised in the least if they sold you a "synthetic" oil change and just put in conventional at this rate.....

GUys,

I'm leaking antifreeze again. Once again, not a gushing blowout but rather a drip, slow leak that doesn't leave much of a puddle.

Mechanic said hoses were fine as was the thermostat. They replace radiator cap and radiator.

small 1oz leak out of radiator cap too.

anti4.jpg

anti1.jpg

anti2.jpg

Anti3.jpg

Pull that plate off and you will be able to get a better look at where the leak is coming from.

Will do, @94SRUNNER . Dark out now, but can wait until tomorrow i guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom