Bad luck with fuel pump relays (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After loading up at the Liquor Barn my 80 wouldn’t start. Being familiar with this cranking issue from a time years earlier i reached into my onboard extra parts supply, grabbed the FPR plugged it in and off I went, home to drink beer.

It happened to once when i was south of southern utah. Now I always carry 2 spares.

devo

@devo, what year 80 do you have?

Out of curiosity, do you know what happened to it? Blasted contacts or open magnet coil? Magnet would be quality issue or fluke broken connection. Blasted contacts are high current or low power to magnet. High current points at fuel pump (or anything else on circuit), low power to magnet, resistance in wire (poor terminal contact, wire partially cut...)
I've seen factory relays fail for all the above. I worked at a dealer for almost 30 years. That means most of what I saw was less than 7 years old.
Like I said, just curious.

@smritte
One reason for the post is that I don’t know what happens. I’ve replaced 2 in the same time folks haven’t replaced one? When I take the relay apart it is clean, no burns, no odor, nothing. When benched tested as per the FSM they are totally failed and get replaced. I have never had a fuel pump issue either. This last one that failed was a new OEM from 8 years ago?

devo

Probably just bad luck then. Toyota runs a resistor inline to slow down the pump, that in itself brings current up. If you had an issue there you would have seen pitted/discolored contacts. If it looks good and the coil shows open, its just bad luck. I ordered a new fuel pump just because and am replacing my relays for the same reason. I guess ill throw them in the tool kit. Nothing like being out in the middle of nowhere with a no start vehicle.

I got it and all the small pieces around it from PartSouq.
Except for the one small hose that seems to be discontinued, it all shipped from Dubai within 2 days of ordering. I couldn't touch the price shipped from any of the other OEM sources I have.
2322166040PUMP ASSY, FUELToyota11224.11$
22321716490FILTER, FUEL PUMPToyota116.83$
32323911010HOSEToyota105.53$
47716960010GASKET, FUEL PUMP BRACKETToyota117.06$
Item(s) Subtotal238.00$
Shipping 24.14$
Total262.14$
Refund 5.53$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom