bad luck new fj60 cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i just got done with my desmog. Carb rebuild, new int and exh. mani, downpipe, tune up. get it running with a little skip. figure it was sitting a long time but after hours of dicking around i find the 3 and 4 cyl. are bone dead. 0 compression. after some test seems like its some bad valves. I can't believe this. totally sucks! So does anyone have suggestions on my tears down and build. I will need a good head gasket set if anyone knows one. I guess i will need a new mani gasket afte the $45 oem toyota one. And get this it didn't leak at all. well any tips would be great. thanks
Also i bought this off the net and got burned by the previous owner.

2 dead cylinders next to each other is a indication of a blown head gasket........

Better have the head magnafluxed as they are notorious for cracking.........

I just replaced one that had two 6" long cracks; one between #2 & 3 and the other between #4 & 5..............:frown:

Use the Toyota OEM headgasket.
And the FelPro or Remflex intake and exhaust gasket.

Had you checked your compression before?
Do you know if it overheated?

Sorry for the bad luck. Before long, you're really going to know your cruiser.

It's really not luck. These are 20+ year old rigs. Most have over 200K miles on the clock. It's a matter of physics. Yes Virginia, even a Toyota eventually wears out. So it's just a matter of fixing stuff as you go. I bought my fj62 last spring and have spent the last few months chasing down interior rattles and tightening screws, replacing radiator, water pump, belts, hoses, weatherstripping, alternator, front end parts, steering box, washer motor, upholstery, re-sealing seams, stopping rust, repainting, un-doing the stupid stuff that previous owners thought was a good idea, etc. It's not that my rig is a piece of junk, it's just that it is time for mechanical renewal. This is the reason people sell them. When faced with multiple repairs, many people will simply unload a vehicle and buy a new one. And with some vehicles, that is not a bad idea. But Land Cruisers are rebuildable. The parts are available, the expertise is available (MUD), and these rigs are worth rebuilding. Of course it doesn't make you feel better when something else goes wrong, and most likely you will spend several thousand dollars before you get the rig reliable. But at that point you will have something that will take you another 10 to 20 years and maybe another couple of hundred thousand miles. Chin up!

While I have the head off I plan on dropping the hole head off at the a local motot shop and have them do what it needs. I have used them many times for other projects. I have no idea if the truck was overheated or not. the seller stated it only needed a tune up. I guess a very big tune up indeed. What other parts should i check while having the head off? when i did the oil pan gasket I looked around a bit and it looked great. Should i take the extra time to take the pan back off and change the rings and main bearings or just leave it alone. The other good cylinders had about 130psi with a not so good gauge but they where even. More suggestions would be great.

Should i take the extra time to take the pan back off and change the rings and main bearings or just leave it alone. The other good cylinders had about 130psi with a not so good gauge but they where even.

Yes, especially so if your planning on keeping it.....

A freshened up head is only gonna add more pressure on the tired bottom-end; resulting in excessive blow-by and oil consumption....

I wouldn't worry about the mains just rod brgs. that is, unless the rod brgs look bad then I would go for the mains also as they tend to follow suit.......anyway it's not hard to drop one down and check it out.............

I really dont want to drop the pan again. I just did a oem gasket job on that as well and it didn't leak. I already have to discard my oem int exh mani gasket which was $45, downpipe gasket $10, and a lot of time. I think i will just be replacing the valves that need to be and hope that the head is not cracked somewhere......which i think there is a good possibility.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but have them do the Oil Galley Plug fix while they're at it.

Do a search to find out about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom