Bad luck continues on this trip - help needed in Palm Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of a good mechanic/radiator shop in Palm Springs? Cruiser had been running fine….then the radiator blew. Know I’m stuck for the day, but hoping someone knows a good shop in a 200 mile radius (hopefully east of me) that I can have it towed to.

F764F301-44D4-4CF2-A9F5-9A98F1527D7C.jpeg

Get a bottle of crushed pepper, it's a long shot but it might just get you to the nearest city or town.

The 2F cooling system doesn’t have to be pressurized to cool. I ran my cruiser for 3 years without a pressurized cooling system.

I modified the radiator cap (with vise grips) to disable the pressure valve and check valve part of the cap so it would flow freely to and from the overflow tank.
In a pinch you can also just crack open the radiator cap so it doesn’t seal tight. It’ll overflow coolant while the coolant is heating up to operating temps but once it gets up to temp it’ll stop overflowing.

The only thing different when running an unpressurized system is to let the engine cool down at fast idle for a couple minutes prior to shutdown after running hard to prevent boiling inside the engine from heat soak. No biggie if it does anyway.

Like I said — I ran it for 3 years unpressurized. Desert in the summer too.
Most leaks won’t leak if the system isn’t under pressure.

^^^ This is great advice, I have tried this as long you have jug off coolant or water ready in case the fluid gets low enough.

bump for visibility of thread

Crushed black pepper sealed a similar leak from one of the pinchwelds on my radiator.

So made it back to TX around 5pm today. Overall the drive back went better than expected. I got really lucky and it was actually the hose that went. I missed it because when I looked the hose was bone dry and the coolant was spotting around a seam. It wasn't until we gave the hose a twist that you could see the split. Made for a much easier repair than expected...though I do feel like a fool for missing it in the first place (I'll blame lack of sleep).

glad to hear it, I think a lot of us were concerned because we hadn't read about the radiator resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom