bad igniter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got power at the coil 12v but no spark out of the secondary out of the coil truck will turn over but it will not fire . I have new coil new alternator and new starter . would it be that the ignitor is junk . tested ballast it is fine . i am lost for answer . the other night i got it to run now it won't start at all . new ignition switch also

thanks brad

What year ? What dizzy ? Do you have points ?

John

What shape are the points in & are they opening & gapped correctly ? Stock I 'think' s/b 20 or 21. I may be wrong on those #'s.

What dizzy ?

John

Edit: Also how about your condensor...good ?

points are new . the wire out of the coil is getting no spark . put spark plug wire against block no spark

Stock igniters very rarely go bad.

I would look at gap, condensor and did you put the rotor back in ? I have forgotten before...embarassing.

John

Having 12V at the coil may fool you if the points are open and the circuit is open. What is the voltage when the points are closed? What happens when the points are open and you momentarily short across them with a screwdriver?

FWIW if it does turn out to be the igniter, there's an article in this Month's Toyo 4wd owner mag on replacing the Toyota igniter with an early GM igniter module and coil for about $40 ...

FWIW if it does turn out to be the igniter, there's an article in this Month's Toyo 4wd owner mag on replacing the Toyota electronic igniter with an early GM igniter module and coil for about $40.
This will not apply on your 77-earlier points dissy.
FTFY.

FTFY-Cent.

:D

Thanks - I guess Pertronix would be the way to go, then ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom