1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad idea IMO...tried to tell nephew.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by flintknapper, Jun 27, 2005.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

Nephew on wifeys side is a Marine, just got back from Iraq and is about to leave to go back to California.

He wants to take his new 1/2 ton truck and TOW his girlfriends Expedition behind it 1600 miles! He has NEVER even towed a trailer before....let alone a vehicle.

I tried to convince him that the potential for an accident (in 1600 miles) was pretty great. I advised that he have it shipped, or wait until they can fly back and pick up the expedition later. Told him it was a lousy way to break in his new truck also.

So far, nothing doing! Youthful ingnorance.

If it was on my side of the family I would just whup the hell out of him, tell him NO, and hand him the money to get it shipped. Kids!!!!!!!!!!

2. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Young Marines are often indestructible and can't be told otherwise... Too bad. I forsee:

1 rolled Expedition
    1 twisted and rolled 1/2 ton truck

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of how far will he get before this happens. Anything over 45 mph on a straight road will cause this to occur. Anything over 30 on a winding road will cause this to occur. I hope that he has good insurance. He's going to need it. :(

3. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Ask him if he's at least getting trailer brakes .. when he says no kick him in the nutsac so hard he keels over and passes out cold. Then tie him up and ship him and the two trucks .. :D

TY

PS: Or play up the guilt card. "Dude you're going to fawk up some family on the road .. like wtmfh is wrong with you??????"

I remember pulling a load of lumber with my 4Runner .. hit a slight grade, and started to twist and roll .. hammered it and that worked for a while until the next bigger hill .. then I ended up crossing 4 lanes , twisting up violently and rocking on 1 or 2 wheels at a time!! I didn't have trailer brakes (not my trailer) and I have a bud and my stepson with me .. fawk did I feel like a smuck!! And I'll not likely forget that fear ..

4. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    Do his parents have any influence?

Is he going to flat tow, or tow on a trailer? That'll make a big difference.

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Not at all an appropriate towing combination, flat or trailered.

Log on here with the lad peeking over your shoulder so he can see the "What a dumfawk" responses to your question in the original Greek....:flipoff2:

6. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Phone the hwy patrol as he merges onto the freeway. Kinda like taking a persons keys away. But in a more last ditch -slash- passive aggressive manner.

EDIT : Oh sure, thanx Dan. Ok cover this one up as he scrolls down the page :D

TY

7. flintknapper

flintknapper

His parents are divorced and he doesn't have much contact with his mother.
    His Dad is all for it (flat towing) and the primary reason why the kid makes poor decisions in the first place.

I'm gonna work on him (in a nice way).

We can flat tow my 1/2 cab Bronco to Lufkin (about 40 miles away) and let him see what its like. I think he'll change his mind.

I have flat towed nearly 400 miles using a long wheelbase HD 3/4 ton when going on hunting trips, but you have to know what you're doing. I just don't think a 20 yr. old all full of "gung ho" needs to make his first towing experience a 1600 mile one.

This is just a "way bad" idea.

8. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Tell him you will take care of shipping it and send it COD :flipoff2:

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Flint,

When you have him on the test drive be sure that the towed vehicle "pushes" him through a corner so he can poop his pants properly......:rolleyes:

10. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Did that when I picked up a half ton PU filled with top soil for my Dad. Never saw it coming .. I was driving as I always did :eek:

Live and learn!!!

TY

11. flintknapper

flintknapper

First thing on the agenda!

My 1/2 cab outfitted the way it is weighs about 4,500 lbs. and it will definitely "unload" the rear of a pickup when braking through a corner (which is a no-no). Even decelerating will cause it to some degree.

I plan on making an emergency stop at about 8-10 mph. in the apex of a turn at the first street corner...(weren't we facing the other way just a minute ago?)

We'll find a nice straightaway on one of the country roads and let him experience getting "whipped around" when he over corrects for a simulated fast lane change.

Hell, the boy will be afraid to bring home grocercies in that truck by the time were done!

Naw........just want to open his eyes alittle.

12. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Can you get this on video??? You might win a $100,000!!!!

It amazes me seeing these people flat tow a minivan with a Tarus to/from the border auctions... IDIOTS!!!