bad HG?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

retrofive

rɛtrəʊ
SILVER Star
Threads
Short history. PHH went out about month or so ago. Fixed that. CEL flipped on a few weeks later showing a code 71 (EGR) issue. Checked the usual suspects. Cleaned the EGR modulator and lines. Intake tube, etc. No more CEL for a few days. Then it came back on.

This time I removed the EGR modulator and just started down the list of things to check on it. I blew through the bottom of it and it gurgled water. Blew some out and smelled like coolant. Popped the top open, the filter is dry and almost zero water/coolant on the top end of it. So all the water is in the bottom diaphram part of the modulator. Called Cdan to get a replacement and asked him a few questions. Guess the only way coolant can get to that part is blown HG? Cdan and few other have came to that concensus based on what I told them.

Checked the oil dip stick to see if there was any coolant on it, and there was not. Just opened the radiator to see if anything was a signal there, looked good.

I just was seeing what you guys thought. I dont have the $$$ to have it done, and will have to do on my own (or at least I mean lack of a shop, got some good friends that will most likley help).

:frown:

If you have a coolant to exhaust leak, then you probably have exhaust gasses in your coolant. You can test for this with a kit from NAPA. Another test is the bubbles in the coolant overflow tank at high RPM.

Run those tests to confirm before you pull the head.
-B-

THANKS B

I will give those 2 a try.

with the radiator cool take the cover off of it, start the truck and run the engine to about 3 grand if you see a bunch of bubbles coming up hg is toast
good luck-nat

NAPA was clueless as to what I was asking for, oh well.

I'll re-assm. what I took apart today and try the bubble test :)

NAPA was clueless as to what I was asking for, oh well.

Here ya go.

Napa p/n BK 7001006 $50

223665.jpg

Do the bubble test first. If it is not convincing and you are still in doubt then try the NAPA kit above or take it to a radiator shop. They usually have these testers but I have no idea what they might charge to run a test for you.

-B-

Last edited:
Sweet. Thank you again, P/N is like ammo in your gun dealing with a po-dunk NAPA shop sometimes.

So no "bubbles" in the reserve. Rad cap off and running at 3k RPM (for a few (cold) started to spill coolant up and over) so I stopped there. There was a couple (3-4) bubbles. The coolant did have a similar look of oil and water pattern on the top (not much)... if that help or means anything.

What other ways could coolant get into the EGR?

Looks like the EGR connects to the throttle body, and the throttle body is warmed by engine coolant. Possible leak there? (Though I fail to see how the EGR could suck it up....)

Curits - That would be great if you could at least give me a hand on dialing it in to the problem.....

So compression check came out at ~180 per cyl. Ran a leak test on the radiator and was ok, there was some leakage on the 2" long tube going into the firewall (right below where the PHH top connector is).

We were chatting during the diagnose and were thinking if the EGR modulator is failed, and running around for awhile in that failed condition it may have built up enough condensation to accum. enough moisture to give the results I found earlier (coolant in the egr mod.)

So not that it isn't the HG, but tests done above show its not black and white... if that makes sense.

Gnob- Thanks for your help this morning. Clarify if I missed something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom