Bad goop in clutch master reservoir! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.seattlecruiserheads.com
Hey All,

I am doing some much needed work on my 78 FJ40. My clutch slave cylinder just crapped out on me. I replaced that fine. As the fluid ran empty in the clutch master reservoir I removed it to clean it. There was about a quarter inch or so of thick sludge at the bottom of the reservoir. I have to order a new clutch master cylinder. In the mean time I added fresh fluid and bled the slave cylinder as best I could. I think there must be some of the thick sludge stuff in the long metal line than runs from the master to the slave cylinder.

So, what is the best way to clean the line? Just keep pumping the clutch with the slave open or will some kind of compressed air treatment work? I am hoping that I do not have to replace the line itself. I did drive it and the gears shift OK but I am concerned that my line will suffer from "hardening of the artery" syndrome...

Any thaoughts

TIA!

Max

If you can get some bulk tubing and a double flare tool, replacing the line is a sinch. If you are going to have it disconnected anyways, why not just replace it. Napa has everything you'll need. Its not terribly expensive, and later on down the road you will have the tools to replace more lines.

You can just bleed it, Max. Or, if you want to go further, you can disconnect the cylinders and blow it out with air. That'll blow all the crap out of there.

Todd.

Mine was loaded with sludge too. My master blew up first. After replacing the master I bled the line until no more crud came out. then the slave quit 2 months later. I've had the same "one goes then the other goes" problem with every hydraulic clutch vehicle I've ever owned. Yet to this day I still only buy the bad part. A few times the corresponding component went bad within days, but it's never been more than a few months. Moral of the story... Might want to pick up a master too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom