Bad external voltage regulator? 1982 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RufusTheDufus

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got a strange charging problem. I think it's the voltage regulator. It's a 1982 3B w/external regulator. Regulator is Ingram part number 831231, 12v solid state type.

The alternator is putting out up to 18 volts, varies with engine speed. I've checked fuses and fusible links (all good). I thought it might be a ground issue so I substituted new temporary grounds from the the battery to the body, alternator case and voltage regulator mounting post. That didn't fix it. I ran a new jumper from the alternator B terminal to the positive post of the battery, that didn't change anything.

I haven't changed the battery yet. It seems ok. Not sure it could contribute to its own overcharging.

Is there any way to test the regulator to be sure it's bad?

Anyone know of a cross to the Ingram part number? My local NAPA can't help me.

I've got a strange charging problem. I think it's the voltage regulator. It's a 1982 3B w/external regulator. Regulator is Ingram part number 831231, 12v solid state type.

The alternator is putting out up to 18 volts, varies with engine speed. I've checked fuses and fusible links (all good). I thought it might be a ground issue so I substituted new temporary grounds from the the battery to the body, alternator case and voltage regulator mounting post. That didn't fix it. I ran a new jumper from the alternator B terminal to the positive post of the battery, that didn't change anything.

I haven't changed the battery yet. It seems ok. Not sure it could contribute to its own overcharging.

Is there any way to test the regulator to be sure it's bad?

Anyone know of a cross to the Ingram part number? My local NAPA can't help me.

I don't think there can be any other culprit than the VR for causing excessive charging voltage Rufus.

If your 12V VR has the rectangular-style connector (6-wire), then you could copy what Roberto did and use a Transpo IN551 solid-staqte VR as shown here on his 12V BJ42:

VoltRegIN551.jpg

I used an OEX RGX2032 solid-state VR instead on my 12V Bj40 because that's what's available in this part of the world (from Repco):

VoltReg1.jpg

:beer:

VoltRegIN551.jpg

VoltReg1.jpg

Thanks. I'll try to find the IN551 or the OEX part. If they are hard to find around here I may just end up yanking the alternator and switching to the Hitachi/Isuzu NPR/GMC style alternator. It's internally regulated and has the vacuum pump. I did this swap on the H in my HJ45 Troopy.

Rufus,

Lost marbles helped me out by supplying me with this part number and I forget where I purchased from online but it worked for me and I beleive was easy to find based on the part number google search

R

Last edited:
Just a maintenance thing I thought I'd mention that you should switch the batteries around every couple of months, and don't replace one but two, check water levels and clean connections.
It is nice to know we can find an aftermarket suitable replacement.

Cheers
A.M.

Received the replacement part today. Problem appears to be fixed. I didn't get to do much testing but there's no over-voltage problem idling in the driveway with the hand throttle up at 1500 RPM.

I had the same problem on a hj75. I went hthough 3 solid state regulaiters in 3 months, over volts. i found a genuine toyota one out of a hilux ,2 years later and still going good and it is ajustable.

I had the same problem on a hj75. I went hthough 3 solid state regulaiters in 3 months, over volts. i found a genuine toyota one out of a hilux ,2 years later and still going good and it is ajustable.

What brand were the regulators?

This is the first time I've heard about serious reliability concerns connected with any of the solid state versions.

And is your alternator standard or uprated? (What is it's output rating?)

:beer:

Hi Aussie 25
Re: the Hilux regulator is it solid state or std type in any case do you have a part number I am chasing a replacement for my HJ47 and they are hard to source here in Hervey Bay Qld.

Thanks for the info in this thread. The vr Rufus bought is still available.

Anyone know what the blue wire with the weather proof casing is for? My stock 12v 3b 45 ute has a female connect on the factory harness to the vr and the new vr also has a similar female connector. Is it the voltage signal wire to the gauge?

That blue wire is for a capacitor which was used to eliminate the noise from the VR for AM radio reception.
You'll see that little cylinder on the left side? That's a capacitor aka condensor.
VoltReg1.jpg

Rudi

So, question here. This is for a 1982 FJ45 Troopy from Australia, and I had surges in electrical system. Every so often, my light would get brighter and the heater fan and wipers would start running faster (like really fast for the wipers, too fast). Also, this last July, I stopped and notice the battery boiling. I had a Repco OEX RGX2032 solid-state VR (square 6 wire connection) and just replaced with similar VR to a Transpo IN551 solid-state VR (but this one is a non branded unit). Installed it and this are the measurements I'm getting. Idle=14.9 to 15.0 volts. Idle with lights, heater, wipers and hazard lights on = 12.5V. Revved up to simulate cruising speed = 14.7 volts, revved up to simulate cruising speed with light, heater, wipers and hazard light on = 16.8 volts.
Could it be that the new Voltage regulator is bad. Being that it is a generic brand, it would not surprise me.
Thanks
Guy

I manually adjusted to higer voltage because new batteries can handle it and with fan and lights on is lowers out, 15v output for two batteries, but 16.8 is bad and boiling it and the acid rotten egg fume starts corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom