Bad Crank Rod Journal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to have a crank rod journal machined while the motor is in the vehicle. I remember that some shops had portable crankshaft grinders that would do this work but that was back in the stone ages. Is it possible today?

I think you would probably end up paying three times as much for a machine shop to perform this kind of surgery. I would take it apart and have them do it the right way. If it's not to bad I heard you could use some emory cloth on the crank and replace the bearings. I think you have to use plasti gauge to measure the channel.

Take out the crank and have it ground at an automotive machine shop. Cheap and easy fixes usually don't last long.

It is possible to grind a crank journal without removing the crank. The portable grinders are expensive but with a good operator good results can be expected. That said the best way is to remove the crank and have it ground at a reputable automotive machine shop. The piece of mind of knowing it was done right is worth it. Also if one journal is bad, with the crank out the entire crank can be inspected and miked to see if there is any other problem . Who wants to get 50 miles from nowhere and find out that wasn't the only problem.

The big consideration, if it could be done, with grinding a crankshaft in the engine block would be with the grinding dust. It would travel throughout the engine and ruin other parts. Just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom