Bad Clutch Master? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had the tranny rebuilt after I bought my 85 FJ60 three years ago. Since then it's been a bit notchy shifting into gears but not bad( same notchyness on my 83 Toyota 4x4 rebuilt by the same guy). Added some extra slippery in the gear oil and that helped a bit. The last couple of days the shifting has gotten progresively worse. Yesterday we went up into the National Forest for a Xmas tree and the shifting was terrible. From neutral it is very hard to get it to go into any gear with out force. Usually I can shift into a different gear and then it go right into say first gear and off I go. Now it's very hard to go into any gear at a stop and impossible to get into reverse without massive grinding. On the road it'll shift but I have to almost jam it into gear. Not nice. Doesn't seem so bad in 4-low. Clutch fluid is fine but I'm wondering if the cylinder isn't holding up the pressure when depressed? Was seeping a bit inside but no massive leak.
Any ideas boys?
Thanks a million,
Russ:cool:

Russ in California said:
Was seeping a bit inside but no massive leak.
Any ideas boys?
Thanks a million,

Part of this is easy. Your MC is toast. It may or may not be holding adequate volume/pressure to fully disengage the clutch. They usually leak inside the firewall and wreck the paint which leads to rust. You can get the master and slave new from Toyota, and that's what I would do.

I would also check that plastic collar that supports the base of the shifter. If you pull the shifter, it's the blue ring sitting there in the housing. When those deteriorate, it seems like you need a new tranny, but in reality, you need a new $5 plastic ring.

My money is on the hydraulics, though.

Wasn't sure if I had the bushing or not. There isn't any leakage now inside or on the fire wall although the paint is lifted from past leakage I guess. I was messing with the clutch release fork and found the slave fully extended and the fork loose. It would move up and down, back and forth and would make a loose, metal spring clip sort of noise. Larger problems than the master I think.

Russ in California said:
Wasn't sure if I had the bushing or not. There isn't any leakage now inside or on the fire wall although the paint is lifted from past leakage I guess. I was messing with the clutch release fork and found the slave fully extended and the fork loose. It would move up and down, back and forth and would make a loose, metal spring clip sort of noise. Larger problems than the master I think.

Actually, this is good. It is for sure a problem in the release hydraulics. That's easy and cheap to fix. Lie under there while someone else works the clutch. It should fully release it. If not, just replace the master and slave, adjust and you are done.

Cruiserdrew said:
Actually, this is good. It is for sure a problem in the release hydraulics. That's easy and cheap to fix. Lie under there while someone else works the clutch. It should fully release it. If not, just replace the master and slave, adjust and you are done.

I doubt thats the problem.
Russ check your thread on pirate we answered it there

Don't mean to hijack but along the same lines, my clutch pedal seems very hard to push in compared to my other 60. Clutch engages just fine otherwise. Any Ideas?

Well, well, well, well, well...
Got the word from my mechanic on the clutch whatever problem.
He determined the problem to be just a bad clutch master. Bypassing fluid.
Wow! That's good news for me. Started the fix Saturday and finished same day. I even had a spare master on hand so there was no waiting. I'll pick the beast up today and off I go. I can put a few of the allotted fix money into other repairs for the future sale. Secondary throttle diaphram is next, then the air inj. tube. Looking good for Russ.
:cool:

Along the same lines, my clutch pedal doesn't push in very easily. It engages the clutch ok but is not nearly as easy to push in as my other cruisers. Any ideas? Would this be a bad master situation?

On mine, the new master is the same brand that was replaced and it seems a bit stiffer or takes a bit more leg but seems to work fine. Isn't notchy shifting into gears nearly as much. Nice.
Had the mech. replace the bad secondary throttle diaphram too.
:cool:

toyman317 said:
Along the same lines, my clutch pedal doesn't push in very easily. It engages the clutch ok but is not nearly as easy to push in as my other cruisers. Any ideas? Would this be a bad master situation?

Any chance its got a non Toyota pressure plate in it ? - like maybe a Centerforce? You might also check to see if the release fork moves easily as it should have some free travel before it starts to press on the pressure plate.

toyman317 said:
Don't mean to hijack but along the same lines, my clutch pedal seems very hard to push in compared to my other 60. Clutch engages just fine otherwise. Any Ideas?

Is your clutch master power assist? If it is perhaps the booster is faulty.

Mac

I do know the clutch was replaced at the time the motor was rebuilt. I would have to assume it wasn't done with Toy parts. There is sufficient play in the pedal. Not sure about the power assist. Whatever comes stock on an 84 60. Would the stock Toy pressure plate require less pressure to engage?

No power assist on a USA FJ60. The pedal effort is related to the tension of the spring and the clutch itself. It isn't adjustable. Having driven a stick shift car for 30 years, the FJ60 is a medium effort clutch. If it disengages and engages properly, it's as good as it's going to get.

Mine was leaking on floor mat....have to put fluid in it about every 6 months..

I just bought a new slave from NAPA for $32....gonna swap on saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom