Bad Brake Booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost certain I've got a bad brake booster on my '93-

1st and most convincing reason, simply when I press on the brake pedal, the RPM's rise. (As a result of the introduction of more air through the leaky booster) than metered by the IAC at idle.

It has done this for a long time, I always knew it, it just never clicked as to why it was happening.

My 80 also has particularly s***ty brakes. David's '91 with 35's stops MUCH better than mine. (I have new pads on the front, I've exchanged all the fluid, included bleeding the LSPV)

I had always kind of written off the brake booster as being fine, you don't really hear of them going bad this early...

Anyone here disagree with my assesment? Anyone else had a bad booster? I will likely replace it with used, I believe I have a source for one. Any differences over the years? (the replacement would come off a '97)

Thanks!

The motor speed will rise slightly with your foot on the brake. Do the booster test in the FSM.

FSM?

Whats that?

:doh:

I wish I was at home with my FSM and garage. (At school).

I'll look it up this weekend.

Can you hear the sucking uf air when you press the brake pedal, if so you have a problem and the booster needs to be replaced. I have replaced one for a customer, read the directions in the FSM and set it up right and all will be well. When you order your part check well for anything broken in the snout area. I had a brand new one broken and did not think to look at it closely and it was sucking air and I had to do the job twice. bummer for me. later robbie

CruisinGA, what is the status on your Brake Booster? Did it fail and did you replace with a new one?

Just beware of the sticker shock on a new booster.

My booster failed in my 91 (desert car) and it did exactly what robbie is describing. Depress pedal and hear a sucking noise.

I imagine an ABS capable booster won't be pretty $$$

Booster has not been replaced, I don't think it's bad.

Doing a big brake job on the truck this week, if after that the brakes are still sub-par I'm going to take a serious look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom