Bad #2 Piston & Cylinder. Now What? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The addiction!

Aw Bruiser, you're killin' me! . . . . I was thinking more like a 2FE. In a few years, instead of overboring my 3F bottom end, find a used 2F and keep the head.

Actually this does have me thinking of what's next:
1. Brakes Front & back, new lines, complete overhaul of system. Been neglected, especially rear & emergency. I'm thinking about popping on a new, front axle, complete from Manefre which comes with calipers & rotors. Can't get my front end to quit leaking.
2. Transmission: Been neglected also. It works, so I'm going to start with just taking off the pan, cleaning filter/screen, put new fluid in (probably synthetic). NO BIG TIME FLUSH. BTDT as PM, it went out 2 months later (2000 Sienna).
3. Middle & rear differentials: I can't get the plugs (fill & drain) off. Fluid was replaced about 7 years ago and shop put plugs back on where I can't get them off. I'm thinking impact drill & patience.
4. Exhaust: Front to back, complete replacement, at a shop. $$$$
5. AC: Hasn't worked in years. In fact has belt on for first time in years. Switch freon from R12.
6. Radio: Also hasn't worked in years.
7. Interior: Nothing radical, just clean it up so wife doesn't complain. Be cost effective.
8. Rust: There's not a lot of rust, just spots here and there. I'll research to see how to fix spots without breaking the budget.

You guys are right, this is an addiction. I just finished a LONG, ARGUOUS project. You'd think I'd want to kick back and run for a few years, but I feel compelled to jump into another project on her, when the weather warms up of course.

Must be the sense of accomplishment doing something out of my comfort zone. Work wise, I've been doing it for 20 years and am damn good at it, so not a lot of challenge there. Of course my next "project" will be something around the house (basement, yard, whatever) to keep marriage in good shape, 16 years married, but ALWAYS a challenge!

Progress Report

To catch you all up. Like my previous post, she idled great! When I went to drive it, had no power. Went to time it but couldn't see the dots per the FSM. Pulled the distributor and reinstalled a tooth over so I had more space to twist the distributor (with bolt out) and find the dots while timing it. Timed it, but couldn't put in the bolt where it was timed right:
P1010170.jpg

So I ziptied it in to see if my power improved:
P1010173.jpg

It did, so I brought it up to Midas to fix exhaust and get it inspected. She's legal! She doesn't sound/feel right for some reason, so I still have some work to do:

Plan for Saturday/Sunday:
1. Install used distributor (bought for $100, should be in this week)
2. Check fuel pressure
3. Check oil pressure
3A. If low oil pressure, pull oil pan (AGAIN) and check oil line is tight, also check torque on rod bolts & crank bolts
4. Start it up and warm it up
5. Time it
6. Check compression
7. Check front diff oil level.
8. If everything checks out good, take if for a good long drive, through all gears, from 60 to a complete stop a few times, let cool down, do it again.
9. Change oil - DONE!

If I do ALL of this, I'll have much more confidence in the work I did and will be less worried about it. Of course if any of these pressure checks are not right, I'll be digging into it again. The good thing is now that it's running and legal, I can easily admit defeat and bring it in because it's too cold or I'm too busy with the Holidays.
P1010170.jpg
P1010173.jpg

First Tank of Gas - New Exhaust Coming. . .

Distributor: Long story short, the "used distributor" I bought was NOT OEM and didn't fit. It is a Richporter, new is $300, so $100 wasn't a bad price, but the gear location on the axle was off by 1/2". After doing the "distributor dance" (in, nope, out, realign, repeat) with the used one, then comparing with the original and finding the gear location issue, I tried again to put in the original. SLID RIGHT IN! Timed it and bolt was right in the center of the adjustment slot. The MUD gurus were right, its just tricky! I feel like an idiot :bang:.

First Tank: Just to review, I changed the oil after just a few miles, so was ready to break it in with clean oil. She ran pretty good. The engine is really smooth and sounds good. It's a little "valvie" as my Dad said, but I'll adjust the valves again in the spring. Bad thing about the first tank was 9 MPG. She always got about 12 MPG. I had a feeling it was running rich, Dad said check for black crap in the tailpipe, YES. Motorhead at work said 3 things affect fuel/air mixture, 1-AFM Air Flow Meter which is a used one (I believe I covered this earlier); 2-TPS Throttle Position Sensor, I didn't mess with this but the explanation is the computer may think you have it floored so is dumping fuel in, 3-O2 Sensors, but these are newer, he asked if I had an exhaust leak before my O2 sensors, I said YES. Duh he says!

Exhaust: Brought it back up to Midas to complain about them NOT hooking up the exhaust at the manifold properly. The factory exhaust sucks! Design is too rigid. To add flex sections at the manifold would have cost $500, so I decided to replace the whole thing for about $1000. I didn't want to spend $500 and every couple of years spend another $200 to patch a section. So I bit the bullet and ordered a new stainless complete system from EMS Powered. I intend to negotiate with Midas to install it for a reduced price ($150) since they've already charged me for 1/2 arsed work. I could do it myself, but it's cold outside. A threat to put a sign in the back of the LC that says "MIDAS SUCKS!" and parking it near should do it. Once it's in, I'll be certain that the Cat is flowing free and no issues with exhaust system. I've spend over $1200 over the last few years on the exhaust, so now it'll ALL BE DONE!

Other stuff: I plan to run another tank of gas through it. If good (mileage back to 12 MPG, no black crap in tailpipe) I'll consider running it on a float trip in March. About 250 miles away. I'll change the oil before and after. Also, will check compression on a warm day in March to see. At this point, I'll have about 600 miles since the engine work and will get into it to adjust the valves, retorque the head bolts, and install the new fuel damper and fuel pressure regulator. At this point I'll be DONE DONE! More to come. . . . . .

IMHO I would not take the truck back to Midas to let them screw up the EMS exhaust also, maybe find a locallly owned muffler shop with a good reputation.

Good point. I'm just pissed that Midas screwed me and I'm left with a crappy job. I trust this Midas because my "local mechanic" recommended them. When I say "local mechanic" I mean they are locally owned and good people.

I'll think through it while I wait. Best scenario would be to borrow a friend's heated garage and do the work myself AND leverage Midas to give me some money back (not likely).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom