BACON (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once you cook bacon in the oven or even on the BBQ using a sheet pan with a wire rack/insert...you won't go back. Haven't tried garlic atop bacon though...can't be bad though!

I'm gonna do this as one of the things I'll cook for the stupid bowl.
Thinking I will also try brown sugar, and candy the bacon.

For the last few years I've cooked all out bacon on my griddle on the grill. Heat the griddle to 500F. Turn off the gas. 3 minutes per side and can still get 3 eggs over easy as well.

Plus it seasons the hell out of the griddle for all other cooks. Nothing stick to that think now.

J

Dammit! I've got no bacon in the fridge to try this 😕

Tasty pre dinner snack! 😁

IMG_20200128_195809.jpg

Speaking of bacon :bounce:...other than when I used to make my own I've found all things Hempler's bacon offerings to be my favorite.

Your's?

I get thick cut at my local grocery, or at Costco.
We don't have different kinds, or should I say Brands. Just the regular Big Corporate names.
I would like to find a good mom n pop deli/meat shop to get mine from.

We don't have different kinds, or should I say Brands. Just the regular Big Corporate names.

Safeway and Raley's carry Hempler's up here...I keep waiting to find their Hatch Chile bacon; it just has to be good!

I wish they'd offer slab...I like thicker chunks for lardon, etc. But nobody offers slab. I guess they don't trust us to cut our own :frown:

I wish they'd offer slab...I like thicker chunks

I like speck. Don't know if you guys have it? It's basically chunks of the pork belly but cured as bacon.
I like being able to cut it in thick chunks. It makes a bacon and egg sammich next level.
Goes great in any review that calls for pieces of bacon

^ I've had speck in Italy...you can find it in the larger cities in the US but not common as prosciutto and other dried meats. I also love lardo but non-existent outside major cities in the US. Ditto: Flat pancetta. All over Italy there are salumerias that have a mind boggling array of different dried/cured meats including stacks upon stacks of flat pancetta with different spice blends.

We're just so white here in the US 😂

I prefer the local Farmer John's thick cut here; sold in a few stores. It reminds me of the old Decker brand we used to buy in Texas decades ago. Fries up well and not much "shrinkage". Pisses me off when a pound of bacon turns into 1/4 pound.

J

Well, I tried the bacon/garlic thing and it was so-so.
I tried the candied bacon, and it did not go over very well

I love me some bacon.
Cooking it in the oven is new to me, but a great way to do it.

Now I need to do a bacon wrapped something and grill it.

A few years ago: Bacon Candy. We took a skin on pork belly, scored it into cubes, marinated overnight in a bulgogi sauce then roasted on the barbie. Insane.

DBCAC1F1-E453-4B8A-B31C-4599E6322150.jpeg

I did find some Jalapeno apple wood smoked thick cut bacon, cooked it in the
oven on a rack/cookie sheet. It was good, but it was even better after it cooled down a bunch
as it made the chili really stand out.
Then I cut it up and put it in some potato skins.

Cooked up some speck this morning for breakfast. Had it with eggs and toast

This is what speck that I can find usually looks like
Primo SPeck Portion RW.png

Sometimes fattier. I'd like to find it consistently with less fat, but sometimes for a recipe the fat is what I want.

Gonna have to try and find a butcher that has some that looks like this 😍

images (9).jpeg

Had to look up lardo. Too much fat for me
images (6).jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom