Backup Sensors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to put two backup sensors on the rear bumper my truck. So far, the only ones I can find by searching the internet are plastic ones. I need ones that have metal housings. I plan on drilling holes in the bumper to mount the sensors.

I need sensors, not a backup camera. The sensor kit should also come with an alarm that beeps slowly when the truck nears an object, faster when it gets real close to the object, and almost steady (but not quite) just before hitting whatever it is that is causing the beeping.

Any suggestions?

I worked at the local Subaru dealership and saw tons of cars with backup sensors - it's a huge selling point for buyers so we would always make sure they worked and what not. In my whole time there I never saw one with metal housings. They're all plastic.

Why can't you just buy the plastic ones and put them in? Get some thin steel tube, cut it to length and then cut out a a little slit to bend against the bumper like a tab and then just slide the plastic ones into that? Or just throw the plastic ones on your metal bumper they should have locking tabs anyway so as long as the hole is the right size they should be fine. What are your concerns with the plastic ones?

ive only ever seen sensors with plastic housings so I think that's about all that youll find. or you could use your mirrors and save the money for something better for the truck :meh:

Hey thanks for your replies, guys! The only concern I had about plastic sensors was their durability.

Re: using mirrors...
You're right, of course. The side-view mirrors are good for seeing when decent light is available. Different story with the rear-view mirror. When I'm trying to place the truck on level ground (for sleeping purposes), most of the time the sun is down, and I'm always under pretty heavy tree cover. The rear window of the cab and the front and rear windows of the topper are tinted so it's difficult to see anything when using them. Most of the time I just get out of the truck, walk back and take a look. Most of the time, that is. But sometimes I'm just too self-confident or too lazy, so I rely more on my backup camera, which doesn't show me anything that's in line with the tail lights and closer than one or two feet.

Okay. I'll shop around for the parking sensors. Thanks for your help.

Hey thanks for your replies, guys! The only concern I had about plastic sensors was their durability.

Re: using mirrors...
You're right, of course. The side-view mirrors are good for seeing when decent light is available. Different story with the rear-view mirror. When I'm trying to place the truck on level ground (for sleeping purposes), most of the time the sun is down, and I'm always under pretty heavy tree cover. The rear window of the cab and the front and rear windows of the topper are tinted so it's difficult to see anything when using them. Most of the time I just get out of the truck, walk back and take a look. Most of the time, that is. But sometimes I'm just too self-confident or too lazy, so I rely more on my backup camera, which doesn't show me anything that's in line with the tail lights and closer than one or two feet.

Okay. I'll shop around for the parking sensors. Thanks for your help.

As long as you don't run them into anything they should hold up fine.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom