Backup camera wire routing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for help installing a backup camera in my FJ62. I've read where others have spliced into existing wiring for the install (here), but I'm at a loss as to how people are getting the wiring into the body.

If I mount this above the license plate, I can thread the wire into the rear lower tailgate next to the license plate lights - but from there what is the best way to get wiring to the rear light housing (switch power) and the RCA video up to the head unit? The best I can come up with is to drill a hole in the tailgate for the wire to exit, then snake it along the bottom and jump into the rear light housing through the gasket. It would need to be a big hole for that RCA cable though.

I'm looking for help installing a backup camera in my FJ62. I've read where others have spliced into existing wiring for the install (here), but I'm at a loss as to how people are getting the wiring into the body.

If I mount this above the license plate, I can thread the wire into the rear lower tailgate next to the license plate lights - but from there what is the best way to get wiring to the rear light housing (switch power) and the RCA video up to the head unit? The best I can come up with is to drill a hole in the tailgate for the wire to exit, then snake it along the bottom and jump into the rear light housing through the gasket. It would need to be a big hole for that RCA cable though.

That’s how I routed mine. Really no other option for license plate area. You could look at bumper mount instead to avoid drilling the tailgate.

Thanks,

Glad to hear I'm not missing something obvious. I'm going to try one of the wireless transmitters before starting to drill. Still need to route the power wires, but at least they're smaller than the RCA.

I have a bumper with swing outs so my license plate is closer to the right tail light, but same idea.

003C37D1-429C-436B-870E-8A3285E2B714.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom