Backup camera revisited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple of years ago I installed a backup camera (somewhere in the best mods for 50 section but I couldn't find it). Everything worked well until I built an off road trailer. Due to the location of my spare tire I couldn't see the trailer at all. Installed the camera - problem solved...sort of. The camera eased the process of backing up to hook up the trailer. However, I still could not see the trailer while towing. Not good. Today, i finally disconnected the camera from the backup lights and wired a separate/dedicated switch to the camera so I can monitor the trailer while it is being towed.

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

Did you mount your camera on the swing out tire? My bad, I see the pics.

BTW, nice monitor.

Last edited:
I did that too on one of my trucks. I installed a switch to activate the camera manually. Seeing what you're towing while driving on the highway is pretty cool.

Did you mount your camera on the swing out tire?
Yes - I can take a couple of pics and post them if that'll help.

I did that too on one of my trucks. I installed a switch to activate the camera manually. Seeing what you're towing while driving on the highway is pretty cool.
I agree. I'll probably look into a slightly larger monitor as well.

You need to get one of the Wits' End Gentex Mirror arms that @NLXTACY sells and then get a gentex with the camera monitor in the mirror. Would make things MUCH cleaner.

can you see the trailer hitch with your camera where it’s mounted. i have a pioneer 4200 nex which has a built in camera mode while driving. i just can’t seem to find a good place to mount it so i can see the ball while backing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom