Backup Camera for my FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kayaker

SILVER Star
Threads
I have really been spoiled by the backup camera in my Subaru Forester, especially when hooking up a trailer. After scraping up my bumperette on the tongue of my trailer, and noticing how limited my view was when backing up in a parking lot, I finally decided to install a back up camera on my FJ40.

I wanted a stand alone system that didnt use a stereo receiver and included the camera and monitor. I did a little research and decided to go with a Boyo system from Crutchfield which was $100.

The install was pretty simple on the FJ 40 and didnt require any drilling or anything else that didnt come in the box, if your reverse lamp and switch are operational (mine hasnt been for years). The only electrical connection is at the interior side of the reverse lamp which, on the 40, couldn’t be easier to access even if had been engineered for it at the factory.

Mounting the monitor is even easier using either the adhesive mount or the suction cup mount. I used the former.

So here’s my result:
The thing system is really affordable and simple to install. The monitor image is pretty good but I get some video interference when the engine is running. I’ll need to work on that. The widest lens on a Boyo bundle provides a 115 degree field of view. Its ok but not great especially if you want to have a camera view that extends from side to side and down to include the trailer hitch ball. Boyo makes a camera wirh a 170 degree view but not in a bundle that includes a monitor At that price point.

The backup camera is activated by the reverse switch on the transmission. Because my switch is bad I had to either replace the switch or install a new one on or under the dash. I chose the latter as the path of least resistance. This option also lets me use the camera even when not in reverse, which may come in handy.

So if you are looking for a backup camera and monitor that‘s easy to install and affordable this could be a way to go. If, like me, you
want a unit that is better suited for assisting in trailer hookup, I recommend finding one with a camera with a wider field of view, preferably in the 170 degree range.

Anybody else out there found a backup camera and monitor that they have installed on a 40 with better results?

EC167569-2056-466C-883F-A14D0703E7FB.jpeg

B18BB700-9E29-4852-9DCE-E74B17BB6918.jpeg

DDB94420-558D-4D71-B5C5-ED2FFA994C9C.jpeg

I’m interested in one as well. When I am geared up for a trip I cant see out of the back and the convex side views aren’t much help unless I have them way out to the side. I am going to do something and will post up when I have made a decision. My uses would be strictly for just seeing who’s behind me so the camera will probably go at the top of the swing out that has my Gerry’s on it. Amazon has many of them and most have a front view camera and a memory system etc. that I really dont need. So we will keep looking around.

I like the idea. I wonder if there would be a nice rearview mirror with a built-in screen. Ex: Amazon product ASIN B075CY6CFR (currently $109 after discounts)

I've also seen rear view cameras that will pair to your phone, but that seems less refined and a bigger hassle to use.
I 100% agree. Ive had wireless cameras before for work trucks and ones in the 150$ range are not worth the grief. I think the one with the screen in the rear view is the way to fly. It appears some of the amazon one have a full scree on the rear view which I like.

Type S Auto:

has a selection of solar powered no wireing backup cameras.

Type S Auto:

has a selection of solar powered no wireing backup cameras.
Thanks for the link. Do you have any experience using these particular cameras?

I got an android based headset that has the camera, large screen 7", and I can download all my music to it from the phone or anywhere it gets wifi. All my GPS map files are downloaded. It has a sat antena. I like the larger screen, works at night and I have found that I use the thing to watch movies or have a comedy routine on while sittin around on trail. Get one with a manual screen up/down, the motorized ones dont last long on the trail.

Last edited:
This is definitely on my to-do list with so much overhang swinging around behind me - I have no idea what is back there sometimes.

How do you find the camera position? I was planning to fit it onto the roof rack pointing more downwards.

Also.. was toying with leaving it switched on permanently with the ign - any thoughts?

Screenshot_20230210-180223_eBay.jpg

Do you have any experience using these particular cameras?
I have 2 and they work well. Only wire is for the screen, plugs into the cig lighter.

20230704_120127.jpg

Only downside is the camera is solar powered. If you store your vehicle for long periods without the sun, you will need to charge the camera with a power bank. If it is outside, it generally gets enough sunlight to keep charged.

I have 2 and they work well. Only wire is for the screen, plugs into the cig lighter.

View attachment 3365380

Only downside is the camera is solar powered. If you store your vehicle for long periods without the sun, you will need to charge the camera with a power bank. If it is outside, it generally gets enough sunlight to keep charged.
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go forward with one that replaces or straps to your existing rear view. I'm in a 40 and adverse to a lot of electronics that can be easily stolen.

Nifty idea! I never thought there are aftermarket ones. I'm tired of using the braille system;)

Been there, done that, got the scars to show for it. You ain't lived to you smack into your own car.....

Been there, done that, got the scars to show for it. You ain't lived to you smack into your own car.....
It is a family tradition for us. My Dad did it to my car when I was in High school and I did it to my sons car when he was in highschool. Its the things of backhanded legend.

IMG_1666.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom