Backspacing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpassmore

Site *****
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
brettpassmore.com
What is the recommended backspacing for running 40s?
Looking at super swampers, moving up from 315s on OEM LX rims.
Have 6 inches plus packers and some weight.

Ideas?

There seems to be an endless stream of folks asking about the best backspace. I think there is a good reason for this - it's because thinking in terms of backspace will never get your head straightened out about wheel and tire position. I suggest (as I and others have before) that instead, you think in terms of wheel offset and wheel width, and then also tire tread and section width. It's just easier to understand and compare 2 wheels to each other that way. BTW, there are just as many issues with the outside edge hitting fenders and flares as the inside edge. That would be frontspace. Does anyone know their wheel frontspace? Not likely. Wheel offset tells you about both. FYI, OEM 80 series wheel offset (ET)=0mm and width=8inches.

Its all confusing...
I think of it with WMS or center of tread.
My 38x13.5s on a 9" wide wheel with 3.5" BS put the center of my tread 1.5" more outboard then a stock wheel. So basically stock wheel on 1.5" wheel spacers. At full lock my tread is about 1" away from the front control arms at full lock. So to fit 40s this would be a minimum start point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom