Backspacing DELMA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am on the phone with Rick at 4 Wheel Parts, and he satates that on my 66/74 cruiser with drum brakes an Alloy rim that I want to purchase WILL rub my tie rod ends!

He says NONE of the Alloy rims have, what he recommends 2.5" back spacing, as the Steel wheels do.

I trust the experience of Cruiser owners that have been down this road.

HELP!
Sorry for the "repost" of this confusing issue.

Sincerely,
Pete _S

ALLOY is the key word....alum rims are mucho thicker in the bead area, and yes, it's a common issue to have tie rod end contact because of that. Not an issue with ALL alums, but with many.

pop an email to toorare4u@aol.com (Tim Jonet in GreenBay) - he used to have a pair of 15x10 alums that he ran on his 55 that were for sale...not sure he still has then, but worth an email. (his wife is the email-checker, and bet it's a week before they get back to ya...lol)

I have a set of 15x10 aluminum wheels that I ran for a while. I think they're like 3 5/8" backspacing. They require a small spacer to clear the calipers, but clear the tie rod ends fine.
They're for sale if you want 'em. $150 for 4. Eagle 589 style.

Where EXACTLY is the back spacing measured? From the lip/edge of the rim to the back side of the rim (mating surface)?

OR

Is the back spacing measured from the flat/shouldered area that rests against the tire bead, to the back side of the rim (mating surface)?

Thanks!

"From the lip/edge of the rim to the back side of the rim (mating surface)"

if you can... take your cruiser down to 4 wheel parts and have them check teh dimensions or fit different rims.
I have disc brakes with the procomp explorer rims and the tape on weights rubbed.. Once then they flew off. no more problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom