Backpacking food 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

surfpig

The Anti-Tech
Threads
Looking for updated options/ideas for lightweight backpacking food for an upcoming trip. For a weekend/long weekends I really don't pay much attention to weight and I can usually just grab stuff out of the pantry. If the trip extends toward a week I really need to pay attention. Not just to weight but fuel consumption, etc. And, I'm not as young as I used to be... LOL.

I'm not opposed to the expensive dehydrated meals, etc, but historically they've always sucked. Have they improved lately?

Ideas?

I got a bug up my ass and decided to try a variety of mountain house freeze dried food. I was impressed. My definitely would buy again so far are: chili mac and beef, chicken and dumplings, lasagna with meat sauce and chicken fajita bowl.

The breakfast skillet was edible, but a little too much of a cardboard taste. Hot sauce helped. I still have beef stroganoff with mushrooms at home to try.

Trader Joe's has a decent selection of dehydrated foods that are considerably less $$ than what is found in outdoor stores. Although not the selection of the meal cups they used to offer many years ago, its still a go-to for my backpacking food when, as you stated, the trip stretches out more than a couple days.

Yes, getting older here has forced me to pay heed to backpack weight!

I got a bug up my ass and decided to try a variety of mountain house freeze dried food. I was impressed. My definitely would buy again so far are: chili mac and beef, chicken and dumplings, lasagna with meat sauce and chicken fajita bowl.

The breakfast skillet was edible, but a little too much of a cardboard taste. Hot sauce helped. I still have beef stroganoff with mushrooms at home to try.
Good to know. I think I've done some of the breakfast ones, they were OK. Last summer during the shutdown about all they had left in stock was the stroganoff, which I did not see as a good sign.

:lol:

to know. I think I've done some of the breakfast ones, they were OK. Last summer during the shutdown about all they had left in stock was the stroganoff, which I did not see as a good sign.

I will be your guinea pig tonight then, stroganoff it is.

Regarding bfast, I would rather have just have the dinner meals in its place.

I will be your guinea pig tonight then, stroganoff it is.

Regarding bfast, I would rather have just have the dinner meals in its place.
I’m good with instant oatmeal or a couple of Clif bars there. And coffee of course.

mrs surfpig bought a case(!) of these freeze-dried beans she says are really good. You can spice them up any way you want.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. All the freeze dried beans in mountain house tasted pretty damn good.
Slightly concerned about the, um, repercussions though...

Slightly concerned about the, um, repercussions though...

And one reason why I wanted to try these meals lol. Each meal digested with no problems at all. While each individual is obviously different, it did surprise me.

For example, I love oatmeal, but it does not like me.

I happen to like the mountain house stroganoff. All the mh stuff tends to constipate me a bit but on a few day trip that doesn't bother me.

I happen to like the mountain house stroganoff. All the mh stuff tends to constipate me a bit but on a few day trip that doesn't bother me.
It's OK, a known quantity.

Between the four of us, we were able to try a good variety of stuff. Most of it pretty much sucked. Some worse than others.

Peak Refuel is pretty good (REI has it). It looks like real food (as opposed to pureed brown mush). It is bulkier. Beef Strog is good. Backpackers Pantry works for me, too

Not a fan of Mountain (out)House

Peak Refuel is pretty good (REI has it). It looks like real food (as opposed to pureed brown mush). It is bulkier. Beef Strog is good. Backpackers Pantry works for me, too

Not a fan of Mountain (out)House
I am a fan of the Peak Refuel meals also, I really haven't run across one that I've been disappointed with. They are bulky, but worth the extra space in my pack.

Closest thing to actual food in the backcountry.

You can probably get better food at lower cost and maybe less salt by choosing over the counter dry packs of uncle bens, knorr dry pasta, and some packs of fish or chicken. You'll be in similar space and weight, and can maybe use it up early to make up for the difference.

Roll your own .

I am a fan of the Peak Refuel meals also, I really haven't run across one that I've been disappointed with. They are bulky, but worth the extra space in my pack.

Just had Peak Chicken Pesto Pasta in Moab this last weekend and it was good! Better than MH. Good old MRE's are good for the trail as well.

Just ordered some of these. They have a much higher protein count.

The Peak Chicken Alfredo Pasta I could eat everyday it's that good, and 53 grams protein.

I do a bit of lightweight fastpacking, and my go to dinner is always one of those cheese sauce pasta packs with a pack (not tin) of tuna. I take some milk powder with me, and chuck the whole lot in the jetboil and let it stew away. Its warm, nutritious and light.

I reckon it tastes 100x better than the freeze dried meals, and only costs a couple of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom