Backorders on Toyota maintenance "stuff", thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to order air filters, cabin air filters, etc from toyota/lexus for my 2001 LC470 and 2002 LC and getting "backordered and not able to provide a delivery date" from the various vendors.

Any clue how long the wait is? Go with aftermarket stuff or wait??

Trying to order air filters, cabin air filters, etc from toyota/lexus for my 2001 LC470 and 2002 LC and getting "backordered and not able to provide a delivery date" from the various vendors.

Where are you ordering from?

Just call your local toyota parts department if you are near one. I just ordered bunch of air and oil filters and some other misc stuff. They overnighted it from Seattle and had it here a day later.

Where are you ordering from?
I've tried several vendors: lexusparts/toyotaparts, McGeorge, Partsouq....I can get some of the stuff but would rather order from one place.....for convenience sake. Apparently lots of stuff is on backorder and they are not able to tell me when it might be shipped.

I do have a local dealer, but often more money.

I've tried several vendors: lexusparts/toyotaparts, McGeorge, Partsouq....I can get some of the stuff but would rather order from one place.....for convenience sake. Apparently lots of stuff is on backorder and they are not able to tell me when it might be shipped.

I do have a local dealer, but often more money.
The more you work with your local parts dept. the more they will be inclined to reduce prices and help earn your business. See if they will come close to what you are getting quoted online.

The more you work with your local parts dept. the more they will be inclined to reduce prices and help earn your business. See if they will come close to what you are getting quoted online.
Probably good advice...nothing I'm buying is very expensive. I was trying to see if the issues were with toyota/pipeline.

Probably good advice...nothing I'm buying is very expensive. I was trying to see if the issues were with toyota/pipeline.
Honestly, I approached my local counter, and asked the dude if they would price match. He asked how much, and I just said “closer to Toyota parts online prices”. He pulled up a couple comparisons, got me 5 percent over online price, and they gained a customer. They’re matching things like throttle body, CV, high ticket items. I pay their little markup for washers and stuff, and I call it a good deal.

Try that approach, you might end up surprised.

Honestly, I approached my local counter, and asked the dude if they would price match. He asked how much, and I just said “closer to Toyota parts online prices”. He pulled up a couple comparisons, got me 5 percent over online price, and they gained a customer. They’re matching things like throttle body, CV, high ticket items. I pay their little markup for washers and stuff, and I call it a good deal.

Try that approach, you might end up surprised.
I might give that a try. My closest Toyota Parts counter is always about $30-60 more expensive than McGeorge and I'd rather just pay them and not have to worry about shipping from McGeorge. But shipping is nice...

I might give that a try. My closest Toyota Parts counter is always about $30-60 more expensive than McGeorge and I'd rather just pay them and not have to worry about shipping from McGeorge. But shipping is nice...
Yeah. I’ve had them be 200 off from McG before. I think those guys can sort of tell when someone is going to be worth keeping as a customer. When I told the dude it was for my cruiser, he got all excited. Gave me his card. Might just take finding the right person, but they definitely have wiggle room. Just whether or not they give it to you lol.

Parts counter isn't worth your time. Just order online. Parts counter at US dealers are a ghost town for a reason.
I mean while I agree with you, I’ve experienced different with a couple local shops. Not just Toyota specific.

I think just going in and expecting them to cut you a deal won’t get anywhere. But spending a few bucks and developing at least somewhat of a relationship with them, greatly helps. We also have 5 different Toyota dealerships in the city, and they know there are choices.

All I know is that my local parts sales manager matched to online plus 20 bucks. I’ll gladly pay 470 for something I could pay 450 for, and skip the core charge, as well as getting it a day later.

Maybe I’m just lucky.

I ordered a air filter, a few oil filters and a 3rd row window switch bulb from my local dealers parts website on 1/4/22 and finally got my ready for pickup email on 1/24/22 (Web orders get no priority at all at my dealership). I wasn't in a rush for the parts and I saved a few bucks vs my normal walk into the dealership parts department purchase so I didn't care about the wait (side note, if i'm in a rush I always walk into the dealership and buy the parts, sometimes I get my parts same day, if not, next day). I just assumed the light bulb was back ordered but you never know.

I get stuff from partsouq in three days

Seriously! I've ordered from them and Partslane (all four front control arms) and it was like 3 days FROM DUBAI!

I mean while I agree with you, I’ve experienced different with a couple local shops. Not just Toyota specific.

I think just going in and expecting them to cut you a deal won’t get anywhere. But spending a few bucks and developing at least somewhat of a relationship with them, greatly helps. We also have 5 different Toyota dealerships in the city, and they know there are choices.

All I know is that my local parts sales manager matched to online plus 20 bucks. I’ll gladly pay 470 for something I could pay 450 for, and skip the core charge, as well as getting it a day later.

Maybe I’m just lucky.
I think that's a valid option if you are buying a stainless Daytona, but for an oil filter it's a bit absurd.

I ended up comparing pricing through Lexus, Partsouq, McGeorge, and Amazon for OEM parts. Oil filters, engine drain plug gaskets, Air Filters, cabin filters, Blade assemblies. Shipping from lexus ended up being 47 bucks, from Partsouq was stupid expensive at over 120, Amazon was, of course, free. (Local dealer would give prices for my Land Cruiser, but not for the Lexus and wanted shipping costs, insisted he couldn't price "lexus" parts and was higher cost anyway)

Total cost on Amazon was 40 bucks less than any of the other alternatives.

McGeorge was closer to Amazon, but oddly higher parts costs than Lexus and while shipping was less than lexus, overall cost was higher for commodity items.

In the end, Amazon still was better priced. If there is a moral, its price everything through several vendors.

Check parts.toyota.com dealers, because they're running free shipping (to a point) right now, and one dealer an hour away was doing 10% off. I just bought an entire front end from them. At any given time, a random dealer on toyota online is probably doing 10% off, it's just a matter of finding them and placing a large enough order that the shipping is offset.

It's due to supply chain and shutdown issues etc. When I ordered a steering rack a few months ago, had to call several places to find one that's available within ~1 month after ordering due. It came more than 1 month late. What's worse is the websites aren't up to date. They label the back-ordered stuff as "in stock". So I couldn't know until after I placed the order, so had to deal with refund etc. It's possible that it's getting worse due to war and worsening supply chain disasters.

I just got a new cv axle, new front propeller shaft, sway bar links, and a bunch of other stuff from a Toyota dealer in Alabama (Serra Toyota I think) and they shipped it super fast and free. Plus 10% off. I think it just depends on what the part is. Also no tax, which is nice when you order $1,000 in parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom