1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Background Checks?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by gorister, Jul 26, 2005.

1. gorister

gorister

Anyone have a company they recommend for background checks? Hopefully something cheap and thorough. Thanks in advance.

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    most PI's can do ya one for $40

the WA State Patrol has a good data base, cost $10 to run a criminal history on someone.

3. grrlscout89FJ62

grrlscout89FJ62

4. Jman

Jman

5. grrlscout89FJ62

grrlscout89FJ62

LOL! Luckily they didn't get into this line of work until later in life.

However, they have handed me some printouts on a few of my recent interests, when the company they use was giving away freebies. I don't think they've run one on my current - thank goodness!! :eek:

6. wob

wob

Riiiight.

It just came up negative, that's all. :D

7. gorister

gorister

Thanks for the link. I think it is a little too expensive for what I need it for.

To make a long story short what happened is a couple of years ago I had a dead-beat roommate who didnt pay his rent. On the second month he didnt pay I locked him out and confiscated his bike until he payed me. Instead of paying me, he called the police and I was arrested for misdemeanor theft. Once I filed a suite against him he dropped the charges and nothing happened.

Yesterday I was turned down for a job because of something for my background check. The only thing I think it could possibly be is if that is showing up on there. I have perfect credit and have nothing else that would be a negative.

8. willmaxr

willmaxr

9. cruzer

cruzer

brian,

ask them what they turned you down for that was on your background check? do you have the suite paper work? i would call them and talk to them about it or just go get yourself a background check. This will keep coming up if you go look for another job and they do a background check figure this out and get it taken care of.

Stew

10. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

Are you sure it was something in your background check that cost you the job? That may have been just an excuse or an easy way to tell you to go away. I agree with Cruzer - ask them flat out what the deal was. Maybe they will be honest, but perhaps not. They might not want to discuss it for fear of lawsuits.

11. gorister

gorister

They wont discuss it and come out clean with me.

They offered the job...I accepted...and was due to leave for a training corse next monday. I was told out front that the only thing they are waiting for is the background check to come back. I figured "no problem". So then yesterday I got a call saying they decided to pursue another candidate.

They outsource their background check to Acxiom and claim that they never actually "see" the background check...they just get a yes or no answer about whether my credentials add up.

I have contacted Acxiom and they are sending me the report they put together. They have to as part of the Fair Consumer Reporting Act.

Acxiom claims they use live people to physically go through court records so it is possibly that they were able to pull it up even though it has been dropped. I was curious to see if an automated one like most companys use pulled up anything.

Thanks for all the advice. Im pretty pissed about what happened because I have turned down two great jobs this past week in order to pursue the job I thought was in the bag.

12. Jman

Jman

Hey, wait a minute, you weren't caught shoplifting a while back, were you? :rolleyes: (Sorry, bad attempt at a joke here.)

Um, any chance of calling the other jobs back? :confused:

Anyway, good luck. Sucky thing to happen. And, of course, keep us updated about your lurid past. :D

13. gorister

gorister

Shoplifting?!?!? ME!?!?!?! :eek: No!!!!! Never!!! Why would you think that!?!?!?! Who have you been talking to!?!?!?! If it was Sarah dont believe anything she says because she was very bitter last time I talked to her

14. Jman

Jman

15. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

They may have found someone they felt was better qualified. You might never find out an answer to why, but you will get to see the report from the reporting agency. I think the job juggling/search thing is something too many people learn the hard way - being led on by one company, you reject others and it bites you in the @ss. It is part of life - nothing you can really do about it now. I suspect there is nothing in your background check - I think what the employers are really looking for are felony convictions, dishonorable discharge, jugdements, orders or protection, etc. A dropped minor charge is not something that isl ikely to come up, but then again, who knows. If the records they found are anything like the credit reporting agencies there may be reams of stuff in there from another person. (e.g. My brother had a mortgage on his credit report - he would have been 14 at the time...)

16. 3puttcop

3puttcop

check out autotrackxp.com When i was a high rolling homicide detective i used it all of the time. I don't think it shows criminal history, I can do CH for free, but very good on properties, business licenses former addressed etc....

17. gorister

gorister

Thanks 3puttcop,

Kind of gave me an idea. I am going to contact the detective who handled the case and ask him if he can show me what shows up. He got a laugh out of the whole thing so maybe he will give me a lending hand.

18. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Your best option. Who's grandkids have ever jumped on thier laps and said "Granddad tell me some of your bank security stories".

If your shady background won't pass with the Marines there is always

the French Foreign Legion ;) (Their latest recruiting angle - After five years if you are no longer a wanted man in your home country you can serve under your real name.)

19. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    Yikes, join the Reserves or Guard man! You can make it as full-time or part time as you want, become a decently paid govt. worker with good benefits while a part-time soldier, see the world and have adventures. You will go to the same training and do the same stuff, it's not really a "lite" version of the military, but you'll have a lot more options.

20. gorister

gorister

Well I just did a background check on myself with a company called IntegraScan. Anyone ever heard of them? My record shows no problems with them. Does that mean that most all companys would show the same thing?

Guess I just need to call all my references and threaten them for a good report.

Thanks for all the info you guys provided...please let me know if you know anything about this company.

--Brian