Backfiring Badly During Attempt to Get My '84 FJ60 Running After Sitting for a Few Years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh it’s all good, I just was razzing @4Cruisers cause he’s too busy fixing everyone else’s trucks that his own is now backfiring. It reminds me of our best plumber here in town whose own toilets are all running and kitchen sink is leaking because he spends 12 hours a day fixing everyone else’s. 👍. Carry on, and good suggestions. :clap:

Well, I got the '84 running pretty well, no more backfiring. Just a slight stumble and misfire from time to time. Idles well at 550 rpm with no choke, with 40+ psi oil pressure. I was able to get it up to 55 on US 95 pretty easily the other day. it just needs a few adjustments.

I did, however, get it up to 75 mph a few times today on I-15 (on a car hauler trailer behind my Silverado 2500HD). Hopefully it'll be in the good hands of a fellow MUD member in northern Colorado by tomorrow evening. Kind of hard to let it go after owning it for 36 years, but I need to trim the fleet.

20+ psi oil pressure at idle after you are up to operating temps should be ok, I'd think. Most cars pressure switch come on around 7 psi to warn you of low oil pressure. I would double check where the knock is coming from. If it's bottom end, well that's no bueno. But maybe it's just noisy lifters or valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom