Backfiring And Skipping In Third Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my 71' for a ride for the first time in a year, finally starting to come back together. Anyway, she fires right up and sounds great, first gear is fine and second gear is decent, but in third gear the engine seemed to constantly miss and have slight backfiring. Seeemed to be coming from the carb. Any thoughts. It is a stock 71' with the origional F engine, and three speed tranny and transfer. I have noticed that the plug wires fit very loosely on the distributer cap. It also has an electronic ignitiion (timing). Any thoughts or suggestions.

Mine does that until she warms up.

Could it be gunk in the carb from sitting too long? Also, if it's cold outside, could the difficulty in fuel atomization be an issue (running headers)? I'm just trying to sound smart....someone else should chime in...:p

Well I'm going to sray some carb cleaner in trhe carb this weekend and see if that helps. Starnge to me that it is much worse in third gear to the point of being undrivable so I downshift back to second gear.

Be sure to check your cap and rotor.....under load, electrical energy does some weird stuff that might not be readily apparent at idle or light throttle openings....trust me, I fought with this very issue for a week before finally arriving at the cap and rotor back when I had a 2F motor...at least it is worth a look!

Cheers!

mke sure all the electronic connections are plugged in tight....had a nissan truck years ago that did the same thing....found an ace mechaninc that walked out, popped the hood and pinched a connector on the side of the dist down so it made better contact...problem solved

It sounds more like a lean mixture condition with the popping out the carb. Besides the carb, it could also be a fuel delivery problem: Junk in the tank, clogged filter, weak pump, clogged carb inlet filter. Problems stemming from rust or dirt in the tank are pretty common.

It sounds more like a lean mixture condition with the popping out the carb. Besides the carb, it could also be a fuel delivery problem: Junk in the tank, clogged filter, weak pump, clogged carb inlet filter. Problems stemming from rust or dirt in the tank are pretty common.

DING DING DING!!!

I leaned my Holley carb too much trying for better gas mileage and had the same exact results.

That's prompted me to opt for a Quadrajunk instead.

One reason it may be doing this in third and not first or second is because third puts the engine under the most load. First and second are short gears giving the old F a lot of leverage. Third however covers a much larger range, 30 to 70mph (less for some). Leverage now is not in the engtnes favor thus the problems announce themselves.
Because it sat for awhile I would suspect a fuel problem, though electrical is also a good possibility

Good luck
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom