back-up light switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When the plunger in the back-up light switch is pressed should it break continuity? The PO had the reverse lights unhooked. I hooked them back up and the reverse lights stayed on when the trans was in reverse or not. So I figure I need a switch. I took the switch out and checked it with a volt meter. When the plunger is out I have continuity. When I push the plunger in it breaks the circuit. Is this correct? Besides spraying it liberally with brake kleen is there anything I can do to the switch to salvage it? It's on a '77 fj 40 with a 4 speed trans.

Last edited:
Mind telling me where that switch is? I assume its off the transmission. Need to hook mine up on my '76 40.

AndrewT

It sounds like you need a new switch to me. When checking continuity at the switch; you should have continuity when the switch is pressed and OL or open when released. When the switch is wired up in circuit. Putting the transmission in reverse pushes the switch which provides a ground to the circuit allowing the lights to come on.

Hope this helps :)

Yea, that helps a lot. Mine is working just the opposite. I put the switch back in and the lights come on in neutral and reverse. I ordered one from NAPA. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom