Back-up Camera Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
Looking to get a good, but cheap, back up camera for my Kenwood DDX372BT head unit I'll be getting soon.
What's a decent cheap (<$25) camera?
Which wire do I tap into to make it come on in reverse (LX450)?
How are y'all mounting yours?
Will my LED reverse lights drown the camera out @ night?
Thanks!

I'm also interested in this, but I was going in a bit of a different direction. After a recent trip to Funnel Lake and getting incredibly lost numerous times with a couple fellow mudders, I realized the advantage and necessity of a dedicated GPS vs phone app. Garmin makes multiple Nuvi models that have the ability to add a backup camera for the rear as well as a rock camera for the front. Seems like it would be a sweet setup that would solve 3 different issues for me.

Do a search. There's a thread here somewhere where somebody found a lead in one of the harnesses under the driver side kick panel. Thread has pictures, and wire is easy to get to. Use a multi meter because the wire colors are not the same for all years, but the pin out should be the same.

I used one of those hitch-cameras. Taped one of the backup light wires and the camera wire goes through the harness inside the cabin, behind the panels and the dashboard all the way to a dedicated 4.3" screen. I also use a (+) wire from the battery to power the screen.

My display will be the head unit. It has a plug for it. The wire I'm wanting to tap is the reverse light wire in the rear panel, just don't know which one. It may become obvious once I dig into it, was just wanting to be a bit more prepared. I remember a thread where a guy recommended the one he bought that mounted to the license plate or really close by but can't find the thread.

You could get the wire behind the tail lamp, 3 screws, and run the wire to the place where you will mount the camera.
Or do you want a wire inside the cabin? I think there should be something in the shifter assembly in that case.

Look for @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr build thread. Post #11 he talks about adding backup camera. (I'm on my phone and haven't really figured out how to post a link here)

I'm also interested in this, but I was going in a bit of a different direction. After a recent trip to Funnel Lake and getting incredibly lost numerous times with a couple fellow mudders, I realized the advantage and necessity of a dedicated GPS vs phone app. Garmin makes multiple Nuvi models that have the ability to add a backup camera for the rear as well as a rock camera for the front. Seems like it would be a sweet setup that would solve 3 different issues for me.

I don't know what you are talking about. :flipoff2:

So word to the wise, don't buy the rectangular one with IR that is waterproof off of eBay, it seems well built and has a metal housing and glass lens, but mine is full of water just from the lite rain. I tapped into my tail light harness. Do it right by removing the tail light harness and depinning the one wire, put a piece of shrink tube on it, skin it back a half inch, solder in a length of wire with a single pine molex plug from your local electronics store. That way you don't ruin your factory wiring, it is nice and sealed with a solid connection and the camera can be easily disconnected at any time. Pretty sure this pic is of the backup light harness, but there is a possibility it's the license plate light harness too Lol. I put the cam on my tire carrier and relocated my license plate with a new bar light and added some white LED trailer back up lights to my bumper, so there was a lot of molex plugs and soldering going on.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I think it all depends on the camera you get also. I bought one for my Camry at the same time as my cruiser similar to Bsmart's only flat black. Mine had the power wire at the camera plug, like a laptop power plug with an extra wire coming out of it that you tap into your reverse lights and then the whole thing runs up to the head unit and has the back up camera input and the other end of the power wire. So there was no tapping into 2 separate spots. I prefer to keep all my add ons tapped into removable portions of the original wiring. I don't tap into the main wiring harness if I can avoid it. It's a lot easier and substantially cheaper to replace a tail light harness than it is to replace the body harness, and I also avoid 3M wire taps at all costs. I solder and shrink tube everything I can.

Last edited:
b2f487d629882522d9aee3cd0cf072f8_zpsdjbi0yhy.jpg
I just installed this one. LINK
Mounted to the underside of a swingout arm.
No complaints considering it was $18.

Last edited:
My rear view camera is a cheap one Amazon so pick one with descent review.

I have it above the license plate, snaked through inside of the tailgate

Exits the rubber plug on the under side and I snaked it under the rear rubber doe seal under the aluminum strip

Spliced to the driver side reverse light for power to the camera and a thin power cable to the HU so the HU knows when you are in reverse

Snake the power and video cables under the carpet and doer trips to the front

Snake Ed wired begins the pedals and into the space behind the HU

Connect video to rear camera port and connect the power cable to the rear camera detect cable

For reference my HU is a pioneer with 6 inch screen, nothing special

I'm finally succumbing to a rear camera, mainly for hooking up trailers by myself! A double DIN radio with a built in camera option would be great but the second DIN slot is occupied by a Cobra CB radio :-( Personally, I'm not that big of a single DIN radio with slide out/tilting screen thing. I know that Rostra (among others ) make a screen built into the rear view mirror but man are those things mucho $$$$!!!

I'm finally succumbing to a rear camera, mainly for hooking up trailers by myself! A double DIN radio with a built in camera option would be great but the second DIN slot is occupied by a Cobra CB radio :-( Personally, I'm not that big of a single DIN radio with slide out/tilting screen thing. I know that Rostra (among others ) make a screen built into the rear view mirror but man are those things mucho $$$$!!!
How about mounting that cobra in your center console? Then you get a loud speaker like mine.
Funny how you don't realize how filthy your interior has become from hunting until you take a picture Lol!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
How about mounting that cobra in your center console? Then you get a loud speaker like mine.
Funny how you don't realize how filth your interior has got from hunting until you take a picture Lol!

Yeah, it's a possibility, not my favorite one just yet. I have the same Cobra as you!! You're right though, so much s*** is under the center console....

Yeah, it's a possibility, not my favorite one just yet. I have the same Cobra as you!! You're right though, so much s*** is under the center console....
Yeah, I'm sure I have half a box of mike and Ike's under mine, my ex loved her movie candy and spilled a box down the side of the passenger seat, when I went to vacuum them out there was a MOUND of mike and Ike's, I can only imagine what made its way under the console Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom