Back to OEM air filter box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm curious if it is worth going back to the OEM air filter box? I changed it to the K & N about 7 years ago (didn't know much back then) but realized it's best to keep the factory air filter box. I'm not sure if my dad threw away the original box that I left in the garage. So is it worth to buy another one and put it back and toss the K & N?

Yes…but good luck because the box new is $500 and they’re very difficult to find used in good shape.

If you need one, might want to check with Toyo Parts Only in North Hollywood, CA. They had one that I almost bought when I picked up my engine from them about two months ago. They wanted about $40 for it and included the air intake pipe as well. I believe they do ship parts.

This guy pretty much has a fully broken down LX470 that is being parted out
>>Land Cruiser LX470 Air Cleaner Box Assembly w/ Mass Air Flow Meter 1998-2004 OEM | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/275065308285?hash=item400b2b847d:g:hy0AAOSwDVthuXN4

But I assume you need the other part of it as well, so yeah it will be spendy. My vote is for stock air filter just because I like keeping the Toyota design in tact but since you've been going for 7 years maybe it's not too bad. You ever inspect throttle body? Does it look clean or is debris getting by the K&N?

This guy pretty much has a fully broken down LX470 that is being parted out
>>Land Cruiser LX470 Air Cleaner Box Assembly w/ Mass Air Flow Meter 1998-2004 OEM | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/275065308285?hash=item400b2b847d:g:hy0AAOSwDVthuXN4

But I assume you need the other part of it as well, so yeah it will be spendy. My vote is for stock air filter just because I like keeping the Toyota design in tact but since you've been going for 7 years maybe it's not too bad. You ever inspect throttle body? Does it look clean or is debris getting by the K&N?
I did find someone on eBay that has the full assembly for about $300. But I'm thinking this over again since I've never experienced any negative effects since I had the K&N and the throttle response has been excellently consistent and clean MAF, I may just leave it on for the time being.

I found this factory air box off a 2002 LX 470 and was told it will fit, can anyone confirm? Since this has the MAF attached, will it throw any incompatible codes when installed on my 2005 LC 100?

1650115345261.png

Where is your MAF on the 2005 version?

I think if yours will be retained and the new air box would provide a second you could either leave the second installed but not connected or get a blank off plate to replace where the second was. If you go the blank off plate you would probably want some sort of gasket to make sure there is no leakage.

quick answer is no, don't buy that one.
get one period correct 2004/5 -07 OR any with the 5 pin maf and side insert location.

My original one was accidentally thrown away when the garage was cleaned out at my dad's house. I'm thinking of removing my current K&N intake and back to the factory box. I currently have the original Toyota MAF top mounted on the tube of the K&N unit. This Lexus box seems to be in very good condition and price is good, otherwise I'm don't think I would spend $400 for a new box as currently there's nothing wrong with the car with K&N.

@landarcht what is your trucks production month and year?

In North America, the air cleaner boxes (and MAFs) changed mid-2005 with VVTi and are not directly interchangeable:

17700-50170(1998 - 04/2005)
17700-50310(05/2005 - )

Can you post a pic of your MAF? If it looks like the one in that pic of the 2002 you posted, then you should be good to go using that air cleaner. And that MAF will be the same too.The later MAFs are noticeably different in appearance. (And side-inserted vs top-inserted as previously mentioned).

Oh and there's no difference in this area between LX470 and LC100.

Last edited:
if you did have the 4 wire MAF you technically can move to the vvti box and 5 wire MAF combo.
But not easily backwards compatible. Easiest to go like for like and avoid wiring.
Don't turn down a free 5 wire maf if you have a 4 wire pre 2006 lx,lc
It's not a bad idea to have two, one of which wouldn't be 20 years old. I think mine is from a '17 tundra that was free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom