Back Road to Crown King, trip report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Azca

If there is a harder way - I will find it...
Threads
This winter's rains have made this trip much harder than in the past. I am not the most experienced driver but, I also and not a rookie. From the new mining area on, 4wd is a an absolute must. Even then, a stock rig will scrape and gouge in multiple locations. I also believe that most stock rigs may experience mild body damage if they try this route now.

Starting just before the Oro Belle, in a short span, you will run into three significant obstacles with the second being the worst. No bypass routes either. The creek bed at the new mine is not bad but, 200 yards+ of low range bouncing. Looking at it, I almost think the miners purposely made this a tad more difficult than necessary as a means to dissuade people from continuing past that point.

Picking the most conservative lines (It was just two family members and I in the same vehicle, so not taking any chances) I still scraped my Iron Pig skid plate, front diff, and radius arm. Hit the rear diff once, not hard, and had to stack once just to make sure I would not hit hard. Still drug across it however. but not hard. I also did not air down (I am on 35s) and used lockers multiple times. I tried one of the easier obstacles early on (used to be easy anyway) and had to back off as I was already on my front (stock) bumper and would have seriously damaged it if I had continued.

Other than that, aside from the burrows and deer, saw my first Gila Monster. All in all, great trip. Oh, one more negative. It looks like they have closed down the Mill Restaurant. I am told they sold their liquor license and also were cited for over 30 violations from the health department. I can not vouch for the person who supplied the information but, he is a local.

So, looking forward to the next trip when I have all my armor in place and I can head up with you folks to increase my wheeling skills.

CK 1.jpg

When I went earlier this year you could bypass the climb out of the creek by driving to the left around it. Is it fenced off now?

Which creek crossing? At the mine? That is now closed.

I went up this last weekend. The big ledge before the big climb begins was a total bear. Four months ago I got up the ledge on the second attempt (pre-sliders), but this time my Wrangler bros had to winch me all over the place. I may have taken a poor line, too. The whole CK experience is still awesome; will do again.

I went a few weeks ago and was able to get past everything. Just ran in low range for the most part. Fun drive but for a Saturday is was quiet. Did not see anyone until I got up to CK.

I went up this last weekend. The big ledge before the big climb begins was a total bear. Four months ago I got up the ledge on the second attempt (pre-sliders), but this time my Wrangler bros had to winch me all over the place. I may have taken a poor line, too. The whole CK experience is still awesome; will do again.
I went a few weeks ago and was able to get past everything. Just ran in low range for the most part. Fun drive but for a Saturday is was quiet. Did not see anyone until I got up to CK.

Would help to know LCs and mods. I've always been able to pound a stock FJ40 thru areas I would think to take my stock FJ62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom