Builds Back into an 80 - Australian Turbo FZJ80 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A bit more bling this afternoon - getting the old stickers off was painful.
After a bit of messing around it ended up a bit of a process:
  1. Soften/heat sticker with heat-gun and steam
  2. Use old bank card as a 'scraper' to assist the softened sticker off
  3. Wipe off residue with turps and isopropanol
  4. Clay and Polish area where sticker came off to clean up any oxidation and anything else on the paint
  5. Final wipe with isopropanol and then put on new sticker
View attachment 1847972
View attachment 1847973

Is that a factory sticker? Never seen that one before with the turbocharged underneath. Do you have a part number?

We have some threads with Safari turbo information if you ever run into trouble. You are welcome to share anything you might have as well!

Is that a factory sticker? Never seen that one before with the turbocharged underneath. Do you have a part number?

We have some threads with Safari turbo information if you ever run into trouble. You are welcome to share anything you might have as well!
Nah, it's a sticker I got made here - I can get some more if anyone wants some?

Sounds good, I'll do some scouting around and see what I can find. I've got Safari's maintanance guidelines and a few component sheets etc. which might be of interest if they're not already there.

Well...this snowballed quickly:
Passenger side went pretty well, no pics but these were certainly very dry. 'Wet' with grease inside the birf but certainly not 2/3 or 3/4 full - not full at all. No pics of the disassembly stage due to being covered in grease. However, drivers side the circlip in the birf had somehow become stuck, I suspect due to heat (This was a highway truck that towed the caravan so long distances without grease I guess means heat) - this suspicion is due to a bit of bluing around the groove. Anyway, long story short I can't get the birf off the inner axle so I've ordered one from Partsouq along with new preload nuts because the current ones had the chisel treatment sometime in the past.
Also decided to do pads and rotors - got brembo pads and DBA slotted rotors and also new soft lines because they were starting to show their age.
Would appreciate some guidance on applying grease in the brake department - I have rubber grease that says it's compatable with brake fluid - will this do the job, and if so where do I want to apply it besides the slider pins?

Lastly, the snowball continued - Stage 1 slinky kit arrived today from @AutoCraft Aus and HD adjustable drag link and tie rod, extended brake lines etc. are on the way. Thinking I want to do extended rear LCAs, front adjustable panhard and @Delta VS panhard bracket (Need to get the truck on the ground to measure) but I'm undecided between caster plates from Wits End, Delta's radius arms or Hyperflex arms from Superior Engineering

Last edited:
I got better stickers loooool........ That said a caramel wheel gets them off in about 2 minutes my - old 4500 ones had no chance against 'the wheel'.
But glad your trucks coming along well :)
Interested on feedback on the slinkys my current set up is way to soggy I need something with more control.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom