Back In the Fold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NO solution really, if you want the key/remote features you just have to keep replacing them once a year or two. I generally keep spares, they can be bought cheap, and also keep a plain metal key as well. That way if it breaks, I can use the plain key, and just tape the fob to hold together, and leave it on the keychain.

Other options:
Camry style key, works but you lose remote functions.
A mud vendor sells a 3d printed fob holder, just for the remote, then use a real metal key.

I'm getting sick of it too, I think I am just going to order one of the fob holders: 3D Printed Key Fob - Bye Bye Cracked OEM Shells
I went with the Camry key option as my main key. I don't care about the remote functions. I found a vendor on Ebay that was selling the empty fob/key blank so I bought something like 5 of them. They are either a perfect chinese knock-off or someone bought up a bunch of the NOS, put a black sticker over the sombrero and then sold them. Really cheap and perfect. The remote transmitter pops out of the old busted unit and right into the new one. Back when the old guard worked at American Toy, they would cut the key for me for free.

Needed to replace that weak front differential - so that meant a locker. I went with the old standby ARB but now wishing I had done some more research and looked at electric. Especially as I intend to wire an 80 series dual locker factory switch if I can figure it out. ARB means air lines, compressor and complication. Oh well. (I have factory rear locker).

I don't think there is a front electric option, only have the ARB or TJM Locker as an option, both of which are air. Slee has done that setup with the 80 series dual locker switch. I can't remember, but he may sell the kit with a switch and wiring diagram to get it done, or there was one posted in the 100 series a while back.

Yes, worry about the coil packs. Carry at least two spares. From my own experience and my time as the retail parts guy they tend to fail in rapid succession. I had one AutoZone customer who took a trip from Morro Bay to Yosemite in a Navigator and had to stop at an AutoZone about every 100 miles to keep replacing the packs one after another. Of course AZ didn't carry more than one at a time on the shelf then so there was no option to buy a bunch at one stop and replace them all.

Holy cow! We haven't heard from Greg in ages. How the heck are you.

Regarding coil packs, I had one go about 4 years ago. I have not had any more die since then. I keep one new one in a storage cubby in the back, along with a serpentine belt and wiper refills.

Hey Greg - Good to hear from you! How/where are you doing?

Evan

I had 1 go a couple years ago, then two throw a code in October. In reality, I think I could have just replaced the 1, and reset to see if 2 really needed to be replaced, but since I was out at Navajo lake, I just replaced them both. If I leave town, I always carry 2.

Hey Greg - Good to hear from you! How/where are you doing?

Evan
Still lurking IH8Mud a couple times a year. Have no cruiser at the moment so not much reason to be on the forum alot. Living in Cali trying to figure out my next career move. I am apparently too old for EH&S consulting anymore. What's next? Selling life insurance. Yea.

Mine is the same year as yours. Similar build except that I tried to keep the suspension stock (just replaced the original stocks with new Toyota ones). After 35,000 miles on and off road it has given me no trouble at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom