Builds Back In Business: Ferg's Tacoma Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOO Close!! That thing is coming together nicely. I know you are chompin' to get it back on the road.

She lives!!! All back together minus the rear driveshaft and a speedo sensor. Test drove around the block in front wheel drive and tranny felt like normal. Can't wait to get the rear shaft shortened up and be all donezo.

Just picked up my truck from having the rear intermediate shaft shortened. Ended up being a bit more than I had hoped for as they said they'd have to do a complete new tube cause the neck-down on the ends of the stock tube... from the nets, folks were making it sound like it was no big deal to just have the stocker shortened. I coulda bought a good used one or two or three from a wrecker for less than they charged me, but oh well, I know its good and balanced now all the way back.

Anyway, fully 4 wheel drive now. Just gotta figure out the speed sensor, wire the dash light and get the correct rubber shift boot. :)

5a3y7yna.jpg

Picked up a water and gas can and needed a place to mount them. I'm trying to make use of some of the bed area and have been toying with how to mount the cans inside the bed. Ended up getting a dual-can carrier from CBI Offroad and mounted it laying down in the bed. I think I like it. Gonna have to alter the hold down plate so it will hold the water can correctly.

6eha8e5y.jpg

vynate7a.jpg

Looking good Ferg. Good to know that you have a trans jack! Could have used that a while ago :0)

What type of tranny did you put in her?

BTW, guess I'll update with the latest on this rig.... I suddenly found myself in a position to pick up one of my dream rigs. Grabbed it without hesitation and have since sold the Tacoma. I miss it but I absolutely love my new rig.
uploadfromtaptalk1403651686267.jpg

Nice. Where did you get it? I want one of those as well, but I refuse to sell my Taco (had it since new) or my 80 series.

I picked it up from http://www.LandCruisersDirect.com and then got some of the goods through their partner http://www.CruiserOutfitters.com Great guys to work with on all accounts.

(I'm actually now working part time in Cruiser Outfitters shop so I may be slightly biased.... Haha. But really, I've been a customer for years and always been treated straight-up. This deal was no different.)

Good to know. I wandered into the 70s section and cant get out. I guess that isnt a bad thing. From what I have read (and seen on their page) LCD is the place to go. I am going to educate myself as much as possible about what I want/can afford before pulling the trigger. I also need to $ave up for the purchase.

...bumped the wrong thread.... Hehe.

Been missing this Taco though... :-/

Missed it so much... I bought another one...its almost as good as my old one, but not quite....

So I've thought a few times about starting a new thread on this new one, but I have decided to just keep this thread rolling. The new one is close enough to the old one other than the color so yeah....

This is all the stuff I've been doin on the new one for the past year or so:

*new steering rack bushings - 8/21/16
*new sway bar bushing - 8/21/16
*OEM 4runner horns - 8/27/16
*SPC upper arms - 9/2/16
*BAMF rear brake bracket - 9/17/16
*swapped to OEM black door handles - 11/20/16
*swapped in 4.30s, sold thel 4.88s - 12/14/16
*added ARB roof tent - 10/25/16
*Airaid intake tube w/silencer removal 10/10/16
*Safari Snorkel installed - 12/30/2016
*gray wire mod for rear locker - 1/16/17
*keyless to alarm mod - 1/16/17
*new OEM LBJs - 2/16/17
*new OEM LCA bushings - 2/16/17
*new inner/outer CV boots - 2/16/17
*blackout fender flares - 2/26/17
*used TRD SuperCharger, 8000 miles, installed 3/16/17, @95450 miles
*new OEM swaybar end links - 3/24/17
*swapped to 16" "spare" steelie wheels - 5/6/2017

And lots of other small tweaks here and there.

*In the not-too-distant future, manual hub front conversion on the way. Have a mess of parts collected and a handful of brand new stuff for it as well.

*Also have the notion to swap in the 5-speed manual. Already picked up the correct 2003 ECU. Prob won't do this one 'til this coming winter or so though I think...maybe longer...

2003-Tacoma-red-homesweethome.jpg

To:

06704730464c76aa8638d3a2241fef5a.jpg

Which i thought would be a cool comparison pic with a pic in the same spot with my old Taco from a few years ago.

tacoma-newwheelstires1-jpg.732430

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom