Builds Back In Business: Ferg's Tacoma Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you use a set of reverse drill bits to try and back them out from up top, other idea would be to cut a groove / slot in the bottom side and using a impact driver (the kind that you actually hit with a hammer) to try and break them loose. Otherwise, your welding a nut on sounds pretty easy if you have the welder handy.

Nice! Those are some great ideas. I'm sure I can get one of those to work. I actually have a nice set of reverse bits already, but I hadn't even thought to use them. Thanks man!

Soak them real good and use a hammer and chisel. Tap a groove into the broke bolt and use chisel at an angle and beat it with the hammer. Sometimes it'll break free and be handy.

Also, use a small butane torch and heat the housing, not the bolt, and do the same as above. The housing will swell and help free the bolt as you tap on it.

Weld a bolt on top long enough that a socket will bottom out without hitting the housing. Use an impact driver that you hit with a hammer and beat it until the weld breaks or the broke bolt comes free.

You can get a drill bit that's maybe 2/3 the size of the bolt in question. Drill the center of the bolt out and usually they'll come free...usually. You may need to use an 'easy out' to get it out.

Also, have you thought about double stacking a transfer case while you're at it?

Soak them, but use Kroil, a far better penetrant. The heat from welding a bolt or nut on the broken end is what really helps loosen the rust bond.

Any updates? Another guy is looking to swap manual hubs onto his 3rd Gen and it made me think of this thread.

Just curious.

Sort of an update.... Been collecting parts for quite a few months... Actually started tearing the truck apart today.

Having a bit of trouble with the spindles/hubs. Can either use the manual spindle setup as-is that's a quite a bit rusty and well-used...or press the hubs out of both manual spindles and my prerunner spindles and then press the manual 4wd hubs into the nice prerunner spindles (the spindles are all the same between manual, ADD, and prerunner--its the hubs that are different). Problems I've ran into are the broken off bolts for the lower ball joints in the rusty ones (and they're rusty and need cleaned up) keeps me from just throwing those ones right in. And to swap the hubs to the prerunner spindles, I gotta undo the 200ft-lbs torqued down hub nuts and get the hubs all pressed out and in and the hub nut tool i bought from OTC is a POS and broke and I don't have a press so I gotta find someone with one or a place to do it. I really want to swap hubs though so working that angle for the next day or so. Hoping to be able to fix up the hub nut tool and I got a couple lines on a press.

Anyway, truck is down and out for the current. Hopefully get the front end back together in a couple days cause everything else is ready to go in. Gonna tackle the tranny/tcase swap in a week or so.

ForumRunner_20130810_213619.jpg

ForumRunner_20130810_213649.jpg

ForumRunner_20130810_213723.jpg

Last edited:
To the rusted bolts....thanks for all the ideas. I've been soaking them for months with liquid wrench. I shoulda grabbed some kroil though I think.

So turned out to not be enough bolt sticking out to weld onto so that option got nixed. We ended up drilling them and then trying to tap one with the chisel. We only ended up breaking chunks off the end--the stuff inside did not budge and now seems even more impossible to get at. We then tried an easy out and had the tip just bust off inside there now too.

I'm over it and will just be swapping the 4wd manual hubs onto my prerunner spindles for sure...once I find a press...

Got the hub nut wrench/socket all fixed up today with some solid pins and gonna give it another go. Only have one last bolt to break free and then can start pressing hubs out.

Got the old upper arms removed today as well and the new light racing uppers installed. Should go pretty quick once the press work gets finished.

ForumRunner_20130813_175657.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_175709.jpg

Hubs all swapped around.

ForumRunner_20130817_225538.jpg

Diff installed. (No idea why this is upside down. Stupid phone or something. I'll fix it later.)

ForumRunner_20130817_225644.jpg

CV installed.

ForumRunner_20130817_225730.jpg

Spindle installed. Lockout installed.

ForumRunner_20130817_225849.jpg

Front end is almost all together. Should be able to drop it off for alignment Monday morning. Looking to start the tranny swap next weekend.

ForumRunner_20130817_225538.jpg

ForumRunner_20130817_225644.jpg

ForumRunner_20130817_225730.jpg

ForumRunner_20130817_225849.jpg

She lives! Just took her on a spin around the block. Locked the hubs up to get it rotating and listened for funny noises. :p No noises to speak of. :D

Alignment on Monday and she'll be fully drive able. Tranny and tcase in a week or so. :D

:stoked:

ForumRunner_20130818_171214.jpg

ForumRunner_20130818_171228.jpg

ForumRunner_20130818_171244.jpg

Very nice. Looks like everything went together pretty quick once you got the spindles swapped. You are actually making it look too easy. Has me thinking that a per runner to 4wd swap wouldn't be too bad. I am guessing sourcing the hard parts is the biggest chore.

Do you know how hard it is to swap hubs onto an ADD 4runner?

Very nice. Looks like everything went together pretty quick once you got the spindles swapped. You are actually making it look too easy. Has me thinking that a per runner to 4wd swap wouldn't be too bad. I am guessing sourcing the hard parts is the biggest chore.

Do you know how hard it is to swap hubs onto an ADD 4runner?

Thanks man. The front really wasn't that difficult other than messing with the hubs--and if you found a nicer condition donor, you could possibly just swap the entire 4x4 spindles in and not even worry about swapping the hubs around (I also went with brand new bearings and seals all around while I was at it though).

To swap from ADD is about the same amount of work. At the diff side-tube, you either have to clamp off the vacuum actuator so the stub shaft stays engaged fulltime, or swap out the actuated side-tube for a manual side-tube. Then you have to have manual CV axles as they are different than the ADD CV axles, then you have to also swap to manual hubs since they are also different than the ADD hubs (so pressing them out and changing them like i did, or swapping out entire spindles), then of course you need the manual hub lockouts too. Then you also may need to do something about the electrical for the transfer case as its most likely wired to receive an engagement notice from the original front ADD tube.

So ya, just about as complicated. And I've also heard/seen many folks say the manual CVs are actually weaker than the ADD CVs (a smaller tripod I think).

Last edited:
Interesting. So for my DD, it sounds like I just need to keep everything greased and call it a day.

Thanks

Dang. She sprung a leak over night. Looks to be the seal at the end of the side-tube. Its a new seal but when I installed it, I actually seated it way too far in at first and then had to pull it back out a bit. It slid back out pretty easily but I'm thinking I guess I musta caused it to misshape a bit.

ForumRunner_20130819_173418.jpg

Started the tranny/tcase swap this morning. Made some great progress, 4WD tranny and tcase are in and all bolted up at the front end. Still a bunch to do though. Ended up with the wrong tranny mount so gotta track down the correct one. :-\

y5yde6eh.jpg

ugy8eran.jpg

a8ymy6ed.jpg

maryqe6e.jpg

Inside back together. Anybody have a gray j-shift handle they want to trade for my black one?--i don't like the black...

All that's left:
-rubber shift boot
-tranny xmember mount
-resize/replace rear intermediate shaft
-front driveshaft nuts and bolts
-find correct speed sensor
- wire 4x4 light in dash
-fill with fluid

So so close. Could be driving it if I would have gotten the correct tranny mount... Oh well. Couple more days.

3y6ujame.jpg

enu7azaq.jpg

Cool. You make it look easy, man. I'm a Taco convert too - just brought home a 2003 Xcab. I wondered why you didn't just find a good 4X4 but these things hold their value so well I see the math if you can do the swap yourself in your own driveway.

What's the snorkel for, man? Ain't no water in Utah! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom