Back in a Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased an '88 FJ62.

Truck is all stock with 242k miles, I'm the 3rd owner. Seems to be in good shape. Runs well and is straight with some slight surface rust in a couple spots. Came with a stack of maintenance records. :)
I am a little concerned about the auto trans at this mileage.

Feels good to be back. I drove an '84 FJ40 for a couple years and still miss it. Sold it to a friends, who sold it to another friend who is still using it as a daily driver.

I plan on being a lurker while getting aquainted with the truck and this place.

Here's a pic of the new rig:

MVC-027S.jpg

Welcome to mud...

If you just got it, I would pull the pan on the transmission and replace the filter and clean out the pan and put some fresh fluid in it.
Just do what you can to get the most out of the transmission before it goes.

Search just the 60-series threads about draining the fluid and replacing the filter.

Last edited:
If ya really want to rebuild the tranny, give JKluebens (I think I spelled that right, he's the current ROTW in the 80's tech) a shout. He rebuild the A440 on his 80, same tranny, slight external differences. Good lookin 62, I want to get my hands on a 60 some time soon, but I doubt that ever happens.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll be changing the ATF and filter along with all the other fluids and giving it a general "new to me" tune up.

I don't have any real reason to be concerned, it upshifts and down shifts fine. Maybe it'll go to 342k. :)

or drop a couple of grand and throw a H55 behind that 3F. Alot of people consider that their favorite toyota combo for cruisers. I jhave a 60 but am still anticipating the H55 and 4.11s to go with the 33s. My tranny is getting old. congrats and welcome.

Always wanted an HF55 for my 60.
I just read the "putting an HF55 in your 62" post. If I commit to this truck for the long haul that might be the direction I would go.

We'll see. I'm not sure how I feel about all this modern gadgetry in this new truck. ;)

Something about the simpler layout of the 60 is appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom