Back in a 60 saddle - progress thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, after 5-6 years without a Cruiser, I'm now the proud owner of an '87 FJ60 I bought from another MUD member. I wanted to start a thread to track my time with this truck and hopefully add some interesting cruiser content even if this isn't really a full build thread.

This one has already been converted to a TBI 350 a couple owners back and has the stock 4spd but no through or scaling rust on the body or frame. This is my 4th 60 so I'm not in brand new territory but they all seem to have their unique quirks.

My plan is to daily drive it plus a few backwoods drives, trips to the lake, etc, but no extensive off road trails, rock crawling or anything like that in her future. I am a fan of lifted vehicles though so I'll keep the OME 3" and 33s.

I'm re-reading the 60 series FAQs and common maintenance and mods threads. I'll be starting with all of the maintenance/issue items before tackling any of my wants.

Feels good to be cruisin again, and very thankful this community continues to thrive and share knowledge!

Maintenance needed:
  • Good old fashioned scrub down of all surfaces.
  • Address rust to avoid any future expansion
  • Rear tail lights are very dim when activated, need to research and resolve. (grounding, reflective backing, bulbs or all of the above)
  • Power steering pump is toast so I just removed the belt for now and I'm enjoying the upper body workout, ordering replacement.
  • Deal with the leaks, it's like someone gave this thing an automotive diuretic because every fluid on it leaks (coolant, engine oil, gear oil, etc, etc). This will include new coolant overflow tank, new washer fluid tank, oil pan and valve cover gaskets, seals for transmission and transfer case, wms to wms rebuild on the axles
  • Axle servicing - front and rear including brakes and TREs
  • New wiring harness - Bit of a mess of a dual battery and tbi setup that needs to be replaced. The weather proof fuse box under the hood makes me crave my Granny's broccoli and cheese but the tupperware has got to go.
  • Throttle linkage is complicated and the mount is coming off the firewall due to ripped screw holes, will replace with a new cable system or simpler linkage if I can - researching options
  • Ignition return spring for the key is gone so you have to manually turn the key back to disengage the starter
  • The simple stuff needed (hatch struts, window crank broken, stereo mount, etc)
  • More to find I'm sure - will try to keep this list updated with functional repairs made and maintenance completed.

Wants list:
  • It has 4 different types of wheels including the spare which will be replaced with 5 matching rims with correct backspacing/offset to eliminate the spacers in use now
  • Bumpers are home grown and welded on, I will cut off and recycle and then replace with some more to my liking with spare carrier/rear ladder and front winch mount
  • A/C installed - have many of the parts from the PO but still needs some more bits, then installation.
  • Interior wise, I will likely add some gauges because I like to see detailed information, then maybe a new stereo with bluetooth to keep me hands free if I need to talk on the road. Already has SOR seat covers in good shape, and a tuffy console that just needs paint/mounting. I will also be installing the shoulder belts for the back seat.
  • Rear is sagging, but the PO had purchased but not yet installed some OME heavies (also 3") that I will install along with airbags because I will tow a small boat or travel trailer from time to time.
  • For additional storage/canopy mounts/etc I will build a low profile roof rack.
  • Lighting switch to LED for interior and I'm just starting to research brighter headlight options.
  • I would really like to deal with the few dents it has and get a complete paint job.
  • POR15 or similar for frame/axles/undercarriage.
  • On-board air with a small tank, just because I've had it in the past and used it a lot more than I thought I would, plus it would be nice to not need to manually air up the rear bags mentioned earlier.
  • Also more to come I'm sure.

Current picture:
wheels_after.jpg

As purchased picture:
60 day 1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back!

So, no major updates but I've been getting to know her and dealt with a couple minor issues:
  • Coolant overflow bottle was cracked and that was my root cause for the tell tell syrup smell of burning coolant. Replaced with a generic unit from the parts store and some fresh tubing.
    • Used part number: 603-001, Dorman Universal coolant overflow bottle
  • Antenna was broken off, replaced with flexible stubby antenna:
    • Used part number 061601-00410 from amazon
  • Power steering pump replaced, was a keyed shaft pulley (think late 60s GM saginaw setup) and I had a heck of a time finding a replacement locally (which I prefer because most new parts don't last like they should anymore) or that was not chrome from a speed shop online. Finally found one at the local O'reilly's Auto Parts and a rep there that knew how to push their system without a defined year/make/model. He not only found the right pump, but it was $100 less expensive than any I had found online.
    • Used part number: 732-2108, MasterPro Power Steering pump.
  • Minor cosmetic issue fixed the finger pinching cracked original steering wheel was replaced with a Grant, I don't like how small it is, but it feels a lot better (preserving the old one in case I ever want to go back and just use a leather wrap on it or something like that).
    • I didn't save the part number on the steering wheel, but the adapter kit was "Grant 3593 Installation Kit" from Amazon
  • Final update for today (Picture above in the current picture slot), got the wheels replaced with the 17x9 ProComps with 3.5 backspacing and got rid of the 2" spacers.
    • Part number: 977983S3.5, available from multiple sources, I used a local smaller shop to purchase them so a neighbor/acquaintance of mine could get the mark up instead of the big box shop.

Next on my list:
  • Found that the PO had installed a heim steering setup, it is bent, worn and missing the safety washers so I've ordered the proper kit to replace those.
  • Drop off for the pros to get the front and rear axles serviced and ALL seals replaced. I want to do this one myself, but I need it done quicker than I can accomplish with my available time right now.
  • Ordered a completely new TBI 350 wiring harness to replace the hacked one in there now. I'm also looking a better solution for the dual battery setup to do at the same time.
  • A/C mounts - researching, because 104 degrees is not the best with no A/C.

Last edited:
Good looking truck, and you have done a lot of cleanup on it.

Throttle linkage is complicated and the mount is coming off the firewall due to ripped screw holes, will replace with a new cable system or simpler linkage if I can - researching options

For the GM TBI setup on my FJ40, I used an adjustable throttle cable from a piece of lawn equipment. It easily anchored at the firewall, attached nicely to the gas pedal, was long enough, and I used a brass throttle stop (two of them) at the TBI end. I made a simple bracket for the TBI end out of a right-angle bracket. It was simple and cheap and works smoothly/reliably.

I disliked most commercial solutions (read: Lokar) as they were either expensive, chrome, Chinese, or attached to a dedicated gas pedal you had to buy. You shouldn't have to spend $55-75 for a throttle cable solution!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom