Back from the dead? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.gclcny.com
For 10 years my 1987 FJ60 has sat. Originally parked when I broke the top rear shock mount. Didn't have the means to work on it then and had "Grand Plans"™ to swap the drive train and interior into a rust free 62 body and frame that sits right next to it in my in-laws yard. Needless to say I did nothing when I parked it no prep no draining fluids.

Fast forward and I have been missing my 60 more and more and NEED to get back into a Land Cruiser.

Can getting it running again be as easy as changing all the fluids, making sure there are no rat nests in the carb, throwing on a new batter and firing it up?

I am expecting to have to replace vac hoses and the gas tank will probably need to be replaced as I am expecting it to be filled with sludge (it was never serviced under the recall but I dont know if any of the dealers around here would even talk to me).

The interior will need to be taken out and thoroughly cleaned.

What am I forgetting/not thinking of? Right now I dont care about the rust on the body or the frame and will fix the shock mount, but I want to get back into my truck.

Alternately should I just say the heck with it, part everything out and save up for something that has not been so neglected.

Any thoughts appreciated.
- Jason -
- South Jersey -

Try to turn it over with a breaker bar and socket on the harmonic balancer bolt. If it resists, then 10 years of humidity could have rusted the rings to the cyl walls. Pull all the plugs, squirt a healthy dose of your favorite rust buster and let that simmer overnight. Try to turn it over by hand again. If it does, then crank it to clear the crap outta the cylinders and then change fluids. You could start out by cranking it with the starter, but if the rings are rusted to the cylinders then the rings will break.

Pump the gas out of the lines and replace the filters. Lube cylinder walls before turning over the engine

Toyota will still honor the gas tank recall. The tanks are still available, at least when I checked about 6 months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom