Back From The Dead ! Dr_Claw's FJ45 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone.....

For some reason my old thread is now closed. I went to update it.... but I was unable to.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owner...s-fj45-build-up-rusty-well-lets-find-out.html

Either way, I though that I would update everyone in Cruiser Land.

It has roughly been 2 years since I have touched my FJ45.

I have officially finished my Masters Of Arts in Technology and Education from Royal Roads University. It was the most difficult and rewarding 2 years of my professional life. Either way, I am thrilled to be done.

As for the 45, I have literally parted out / bought / traded or robbed parts from over 25 different trucks to get this thing where it is today.

Right before I put it in storage, I took it to work to install a trailer hitch, full floater rear axle and air helper springs. I intend to have a truck camper in this thing!

EDIT: Thanks to Mike (a fellow 45 owner) for helping me with the tow!
UnLoading.jpg
Un-Loading 2.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the gas tank I made.

16 gauge steel, bent with my large press break at work.

Should be about 35 gallons or 120-ish liters.
Gas Tank Start.jpg
Gas Tank Start 2.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the tank finished and installed.

I was going to TIG the tank, but I opted for MIG because is was faster, with more material. That, and 16 gauge was a breeze to weld. Unfortunately it is a little heavy.

I pressure tested it to about 5 PSI, with water in the tank. No leaks, but I was not sure.....

I spent the $70 ish dollars on a POR 15 tank sealer kit as insurance.

We will see...
Gas Tank.jpg
Gas Tank 2.jpg
pics 059.jpg

I actually finished the exhaust today. All is 2" in a single outlet.

There is not much room under there!

This thread was great FYI

Tech contest Vee Eight Xhaust - Pirate4x4.Com

Walker part no 42087 OEM application is 58-66 Chevy pickup with a 283 engine is the down pipe I used for my Ram Horn Manifolds.

This down pipe uses the factory flapper or.......

A flapper delete plate available here....

Chevy Exhaust Heat Riser Delete, Small Block, 2", 1957 - Eckler's Classic Chevy Parts

I finished all of the welds off with spray on cold zinc - galvanizing / weld through primer. Apparently it holds back the rust!

Pic of the delete plate....
delete plate.jpg
exhaust 1.jpg

Great Job man that thing is nice

More pics from today...

Here is the finished gas tank sitting in the truck.

Hopefully the cruiser gods are not angry, because I used a TJ filler neck on my 45 :p

It worked great and almost looks factory!

( That is a piece of stainless connecting the cut down TJ factory filler tube)
TJ filler.JPG
TJ filler 2.JPG
TJ filler 3.JPG

Another update....

I sold off the Holley Projection setup that I was intending to use for this project.

I have heard many pros / cons of that system..... but more cons. so I ended up selling it for what I paid for it. ($450 ish on ebay)

I bit the bullet and I ordered the Fast Fuel injection Master install kit.

EZ-EFI by FAST™ - The Easiest Way to Convert Your Carb to EFI

I ended up getting the Master kit for $1800 at an industry trade show, which was the price of the normal kit. I couldn't resist but my bank account really hurt after that :crybaby:

I also bought a Rebel wiring harness.... I am going to pull out all of the 40 + year old factory stuff.
engine resize.JPG
Engine resize 2.JPG

Very impressive. Must be nice to be so friggin handy at a multitude of things.

Thanks for the tank setup pics! I am still trying to figure out what to do with mine. My bed was flatbedded with a tank between the rear rails, then it was bobbed and part of the tank removed. I am going to re-extend the rear frame and put the stock bed on and so far I am thinking of an L-shaped tank in the bed with a tool box over it.

ps- on the thread locks, woody runs a script once a year or so that takes any thread older than 6 months with no posts and locks it to keep spammers down. You can request it be unlocked.

thanks for the heads-up about the threads being un-locked.

I will send Woody a PM to see if he can unlock the old thread... and maybe add some of this stuff.

As I may have mentioned, I teach high school metalwork. The school start up was a gong show as usual so I have not done too much on the 45.

That, and I have been working on other projects......

My bike gained another 50 cc :)

I will update this thread with actual cruiser pics on the weekend :)
2012-09-20 08.23.00.jpg

Here is an updated pic of the engine bay.

One wire alt, triple row pulley for AC, and PS pump installed.

NOTE: The plug wires are not going to live there forever :hmm: I just threw them on.

The rad is out of a BJ42.

The steering cooler is out of a 96 Ford Exploder.

The steering box is out of about the same vintage (96) GM 1500.

The high pressure line was out of a 1978 CJ with power steering. Only issue was that they require a bubble flair instead of the single flair. I hope it doesn't leak, but we will see.

As for the bonehead move of the last little while..... apparently B+M coolers are brittle as FAWK!

I go to tighten up the lines, and the "input" cracks instantly on the cooler. :S

The place I got it from ordered me another one free of charge. Not sure why this happened, but I was a little disappointed. I didn't heave on it or anything, almost felt like the factory attachment was faulty.

More pics when all lines are installed.
LC.jpg

Really curious on what you think of the EZ-EFI FAST system after you get it running. I've been considering this for the Gen I SBC in my 40. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the price. Not cheap but looks very slick and easy.

Well our house is for sale. We have our eye on a larger property 15 min. away.

I rolled the 45 outside to make the garage look a little bigger, and I snapped a pic with my phone.

It is dusty!

Now that all of the lines / plumbing is finished.....wiring is next on the agenda. :idea:
2012-09-28 17.34.26.jpg

Okay...

My new years resolution is to more frequently update this thread.

I have been busy with life, and I have neglected to let ya'll know what is up with the 45.

I have a bunch of pics I intend to upload later this week.

Upcoming highlights... All new wiring and underseat battery...steering cleaned up and finished...driveshafts...and now onto the fuel injection.

:popcorn:

Here are a few pics as promised...

Lokar Throttle Cables / Th400 Kick down cable

New Steering Bearing as the old rubber bushing was shot!

+

Hot Water Shower!
STEERING BEARING.JPG
HOT WATER SHOWER.jpg

AND A SEA OF WIRES!!!! :bang:

Did I mention that I really like all aspects of working on vehicles... all but wiring!
Bench Tools.jpg
LOTS OF WIRES.JPG
LOTS OF WIRES 2.JPG

I really like the Brother label maker I borrowed from my work!

I am trying to cut out as much random wire as possible. This also includes the switches.
Wire 22.jpg

couple shots of the front shaft I figured out with the AA adapter...and the BJ42 rad + B+M cooler + Explorer PS cooler
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Although it doesn't look like I have accomplished that much... wiring takes forever!

I have most of the engine compartment finished, battery loosely installed under the drivers seat, and most of the major stuff figured out.

I still probably have a few months in this yet. I hate wiring :crybaby: but it is a necessary evil.

Here a some gauges I just figured out where to install.... and although you might say "ooooo lights" these took me better part of a week to drill the frame, solder, wire and loom. I used LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com.

I am very happy with them.
2013-01-26 19.58.24.jpg
2013-01-26 20.01.36.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom