B2799 Engine Immobilizer System Malfunction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
Good morning Mudders! I'm looking at a 2003 and I had a Lexus Dealership do a pre-purchase inspection. It came back with a the fault code B2799, but it starts and drives and the seller said they have not had an issue with it starting or leaving them stranded. I looked at it and it started fine but at the time I didn't know what I've learned from reading in here to see if the red security warning light by the clock remained on with it running or not.

There aren't many threads in here discussing this fault code, nor are there very many from my Google search.

I will go back to look at it today but I wanted to be armed with some information to look for.

If it starts and drives fine but has this code could it be just the 20A fuse in the fuse box I've read about?

Could it be one of the keys is bad and they just tried to use the bad key to start it?

When I go to see it today do I need to make sure the security light goes off once it is started and running?

Thanks for your thoughts and knowledge.

I've owned 2 100's previously, an LC and an LX and none of them had this issue.

Could it be one of the keys is bad and they just tried to use the bad key to start it?

When I acquired my 99 LX, one of the keys on the key ring that was provided, appeared to be without a chip. Everything worked until I broke the keys up to different rings. If I remember correctly, the bad key DID set that (or a similar) code which had me s***ting bricks, until I cleared the code, and figured out that 1 key caused the code.

We had a similar issue on my son’s 00 LC, when he “had to have” some of the stupid aftermarket “switchblade keys” that pushed the transponder chip too far away from the inductive coil at the ignition switch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom