"B" series differences, 3B vs 13B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
What are the differences between the 3B and the 13B besides the fact that the 3B is indirect injection and the 13B is direct injection?
The 3B and 13B are my two choices besides a 2B and B engine.
I'd get a 13B-T but they don't bring them in here so it will be a homebrew turbo on either the 3B or 13B engine.

Does the 13B have piston skirt cooling? It's GOT to have piston skirt cooling as far as I'm concerned.
Is it a glow screen or a glow plug engine?
How uncommon is the 13B vs. the 3B (I know the 3B was all we got in Canada but what about other areas)? I'm more concerned about parts issues than other things in this question.

The 13B is a Dyna engine and it wouLd certtainly have oil cooled piston skirts.
It was in production recently and maybe still is.
If your looking at the Dyna B range ,why not a 14B or 15Bwith bigger bore and crank and gobs more torque:idea:
A 15B with turbo would almost be a Megacruiser motor,almost:D

roscoFJ73 said:
The 13B is a Dyna engine and it wouLd certtainly have oil cooled piston skirts.
It was in production recently and maybe still is.
If your looking at the Dyna B range ,why not a 14B or 15Bwith bigger bore and crank and gobs more torque:idea:
A 15B with turbo would almost be a Megacruiser motor,almost:D

Is the 14B or 15B compatible with the same trannys as the 3B/13B? What about engine mounts, engine size etc.? Is the 14B and 15B still in production?

cruiser_guy said:
Is the 14B or 15B compatible with the same trannys as the 3B/13B? What about engine mounts, engine size etc.? Is the 14B and 15B still in production?

I dont know a great deal about them but I have read of others bolting their B gearbox to 14B.
I believe the block is the same with some reinforcing to handle the extra torque.
It also has a few extra cubes as well
I had a photo of a 14B in a 55 somewhere but I may have erased it.

I think they have just gone out of production in favour of more emissions friendly engines with common rail injection.
They are still newer than a 3B or 13BT:D
Ill see what I can dig up in the way of pics later

14B is a great engine .. this rig

abdel-zanja1.jpg

after 350 chevy conversion, it has a 14B engine mated to a H42 tranny with out problems.

Here's a page that details the install of a 14B-T into an FJ-70.

According to the author, the 14B-T has a gear-driven vacuum pump and power steering pump. 13B-T and previous engines have the vacuum pump integrated with the alternator. ....Hmmmm, interesting.

detiails include; how to attach the originally (3F) H55-F to the 14B-T with 'mix and match' bellhousing & clutch plates...

www.gscruiserparts.com/3F_to_14BT_in_FJ70.html

OK, I'll ask about the 14B-T or 15B-T too and see what is out there. David, were they common here in Central America?

The 14b is 3.7L and the 15b is 4.1L. All of the B motors have piston skirt cooling. The 14b(non turbo) is direct injection. Both motors have been used in Diahatsu and Hino trucks as well as Toyota coaster buses. They'll have a different sump and oil pickup, however the sump from your 3b should bolt straight up to it. I believe they are the same block, I've been meaning to put my 3b next to the 14b in the Daihatsu Delta here at work some time to compare but have not got around to it yet.

The one that I have been wondering is if you could resleave the 3b and put a 15b crank in to take the3b out to 4.1L.

I seem to remember one of the Japanese entrants in the Malaysian Rainforest Challenge has been running a 14B in his 43 series with some success.

I think one of these engines would be near on impossible to kill in a cruiser plus you get more HP/torque with little or no mods with almost no weight gain.

The more I think about it the more sense it makes.

cruiser_guy said:
OK, I'll ask about the 14B-T or 15B-T too and see what is out there. David, were they common here in Central America?

15B-T newest engine .. not ( sure ) usual to found it. But the 14B is more easy, then 14B-T is less common, but most then 15B-T.

I thought is a great upgrade .. in the red 40 show above, he was the 14B engine a lots of years .. with 0 ( big 0 ) engine problems, no vaccum and no power stering issues. Running 37" boggers, full locked rig with 4.88 on the axles.

Anycase this PS are not integrated in the 14B that I seen before. Vacumm pump yes as the same in some 1HZ engines.

I thought also turbo option is great .. 14B is a great plataform to do big things .. !

so what you are saying is we can actually swap the 3b engine to a 14 or 15b easily? Bolt on bolt off? I have just recenlt bought a Bj42 84' with a 3b engine. Or doest it take much to convert? Can we use the same transmission?
Damn you guys :eek: Im starting to think now about my Bj42 doing aa swap with 13b or 13bt or 14b or 14bt or 15b. It just happened i have a local 4x4 mag(from where i saw and bought my Bj42 in) Have a few caompanies that sells the engines stated above. used engines.
3b-$3,300
13BT-$4,500
14B-$3,850
14BT-$5,500
15B-$5k
All in australian $$ for an engine swap. web add :www.JapParts.com.au. BTW where can i get the specs fpr each engine to compare which one is the best nuy engine. Power to $$ ratio.:idea:

Last edited:
The 3B also has oil that squirts the piston skirts, a 3B is pretty slow, but is a workhourse motor, as are the rest. I guess it depends on what cha want, Turbo diesel is the best weather it is a 13bt or 14 bt.

thats JMO

Well whichever one I end up using it WILL get turbo'd if it is not already.

Not cheap .. but good to know, always you have tose options easy. So I'm not sure that I ever seen a 15B .. only know the 15B-T thta is a amazing engine ..

The better option .. for sure 15B-T but it always depends of the size of your wallet .. :D

though we've call a 3B with a homemade turbo a '3B-T', Toyota follows an alpha-numeric code for its engines. "13B-T" gets split up into:

'B' series engine
'3B' effectively like model number (superceeds the 'B' and '2B')
'1' means direct injection
'T' is turbocharged

(though the '1' = direct injection 'rule' doesn't seem to apply to the 1HZ, K series, or P-series)

The turbo version of the 15B is the 15B-T. The 15B-T does/did come in the Megacruiser, but I don't know where else it was used (ie. buses/forklifts/etc)

There is a 15B-FT ('F' stands for four valves per cylinder!!!), but I don't know if people leave out the 'F', or were the 15B's produced with both 2 or 4 valve per cylinder heads???

smcruisin said:
The turbo version of the 15B is the 15B-T. The 15B-T does/did come in the Megacruiser, but I don't know where else it was used (ie. buses/forklifts/etc)

There is a 15B-FT ('F' stands for four valves per cylinder!!!), but I don't know if people leave out the 'F', or were the 15B's produced with both 2 or 4 valve per cylinder heads???

Yep 2 or 4 valves,
Megacruiser engine specs "
15B-FT, 4106cc, diesel, 4-cyls, turbo-charged and intercooled, 4-valves/cyl "

Available in Toyota Dyna 4wd Japanese army trucks and possibly Hino trucks,but not common outside of japan.
Seem to get a lot of Russian results when you put it into google.

Here in Panamá few Dyna 4x4 Trucks ( 2 Ton . ? ) have it .. is like a 4.3 II Izusu Direct Inyection engine .. a monster .. !!!

Tapage said:
Here in Panamá few Dyna 4x4 Trucks ( 2 Ton . ? ) have it .. is like a 4.3 II Izusu Direct Inyection engine .. a monster .. !!!

Pics:D

Since the question was asked about the B-series differences

I thought this would be food for thought. I found this site with information about diesel engine parts/kits. It mentions some information about the bore diameter, etc...

http://www.partstw.com/Toyota/toyota.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom