B engine refresh help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm refreshing a 79 b diesel engine.
Does anyone know a good source for a complete gasket kit?
Also
I pulled the exhaust manifold and found one Port was fairly oily. The other 3 were very dry.
Does this indicate a leaky valve seal?

All the intake ports appeared to be oily as well

20210105_192222.jpg

Dan Kulek in Edmonton at 4-wheel auto is a good source for a B gasket set (good quality), or Amayama in Japan (could be a bit slow because of Covid). Another source is Toyota Parts Direct in the Toronto area. Both Amayama and TPD provide OEM Toyota stuff. The valve seals come as part of the kit. Looking at the sludge on the exhaust manifold I might even suggest a bad valve seat (regrind the head). Another good source for bits & pieces is Radd Cruisers now located in Kamloops or Kelowna BC

If you choose Specter or Cruiserparts, the quality is not so good and there are lots of hidden charges (like outrageous shipping and customs brokerage fees).

Since you are rebuilding your B (I have rebuilt at least four over the years), you should take a hard look at the crank & bearings. The oil pump on the B is prone to wearing out and the gears are not easily obtainable. Poor oil pressure/hard wear on bearings.

Amayama has some great OEM parts diagrams (with Toyota part numbers). You might also want to look at MegaZip (out of the UAE) but sells mostly on EBay. Again, MegaZip has horrible delivery times.

Thanks otbt, that's precisely the info I was looking for. I'll give Dan at 4 wheel a shout.
I'll plastigauge the crank bearings before I drop the engine back in.
Do the cam bearings suffer the same degradation as 3b's?

I'd go straight to engines Australia. Would be happy to put their parts in anything I owned and I'm OEM OCD. Having said that, use any OEM gaskets you can get.

I'd go straight to engines Australia. Would be happy to put their parts in anything I owned and I'm OEM OCD. Having said that, use any OEM gaskets you can get.
They are really good, too - especially for bearings and gaskets - I think they sell the "Diesel" brand don't they ?

Thanks otbt, that's precisely the info I was looking for. I'll give Dan at 4 wheel a shout.
I'll plastigauge the crank bearings before I drop the engine back in.
Do the cam bearings suffer the same degradation as 3b's?
The short answer is yes - the lifters especially - but the cam doesn't have the same heat and power loading that the crank does and replacing the cam bearings is a PITA without the special tools.

So before I started this thread I contacted Engines australia. They have nil stock for b gasket kits. I refreshed a 3b engine a few years back with oem gaskets, and it was crazy expensive. Just the 8 valve seals cost me $120.
I will always use oem for vital seals. But if the seals are accessible and failure results in a bit of dripping mess, ill got with aftermarket for %20 the price of oem.

Reactions: D0g
Also
I pulled the exhaust manifold and found one Port was fairly oily. The other 3 were very dry.

View attachment 2546218

Also

View attachment 2546218
Hi Cruising Canuck,

Try Euro 4x4 parts, they are based in France and will ship to Canada.

Here is the link to the B diesel gasket kit for €75 euro or about $117 CAD

www.euro4x4parts.com

They have a load of parts for the B diesel!

ToyotaDyna

-------

Looking for a Diesel, LHD Toyota Landcruiser in 🇺🇸🇨🇦🇪🇺 visit my Page

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD

Last edited:
That is super helpful. Thanks! I know this b engine is going to need a few more parts
No problem, glad to help! I have some B engines myself.

Your water pump, oil cooler and a few other bits will be the older shape being a '79 just watch that when you order parts!

Even the thermostat housing, you might know all this already lol!

ToyotaDyna 😎

-------

Looking for a Diesel, LHD Cruiser in 🇺🇸🇨🇦🇪🇺🌏🌎🌍? check out my page!

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom