B Engine Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
So a friend of mine is buying a 79 B motor to put in his 67 FJ45 pickup. He wants me to rebuild it and even though I've never rebuilt a diesel I'm up for the challenge. I'm going to have a ton of questions and a ton of pics. I don't know what color he wants but I'm sure you can guess what I'll be pushing for. I already have the fsm. And have been reading it.

B & 2B Engine Manual.pdf

1980 Chassis and body Manual FJ & BJ

My first question is what is the best rebuild kit for the money? Are there certain parts I should stay away from? We are looking at a complete kit with new sleeves and pistons since the motor hasn't been run in a long time and the PO said it needed to be rebuilt. Unknown mileage. I'm going to leave pressing in the sleeves and sizing them to the machine shop but if you have any advice for me that would be great.

My first goal is to gather all the best parts and know what to stay away from. I'm going to assume at some point in this motors future a turbo might be added so I'd like to make any adjustments now in the part upgrades.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
MMM GayBee. I like it.

Thought I would put a list together of what might be needed and what parts we get. Found this site which had a really good list already. Am I correct in saying a B doesn't have Pre-Cups? Also I also found out today that he wants it turbocharged. So I'll have to figure all that into the equation.

Engine Rebuild Kit

Valve Train

Rebuild kit :
Exhaust Valve :
Inlet Valve :
Exhaust Guide :
Inlet Guide :
Exhaust Springs :
Inlet Springs :
Valve Spring Seat :
Valve Spring Retainer :
Collets :
Valve Stem Seals :​

Sleevy Assy & Sleeves

Sleeve Only :
Pistons & Rings :
Piston Only :
Ring Set :​

Bearings

Conrod Bearings :
Main Bearings :
Thrust Washers :
Cam Bearings :
Gudgeon Pin Bushes :​

Cylinder Head

Head Bolts :
Glow Plugs :
Pre-combustion Chambers :​

Gaskets & Seals

Full Gasket Set :
VRS Gasket Set :
Head Gasket :
Rocker Cover Gasket :
Inlet Manifold Gasket :
Exhaust Manifold Gasket :
Front Seal :
Rear Seal :
Sump Gasket :
Block Components

Block :
Crankshaft :
Crank Gear :​

Fuel Injections

Injector Assembly :
Injector Pump :
Injector Washer :​

Filters

Fuel Filter :
Oil Filter :
Air Filter :
Filter Kit :​

Oil Pump Components

Oil Pump :
Oil Pump Kit :​

Camshaft Component

Camshaftt :
Cam Followers :
Bucket Shims :​

Miscellaneous

Water Pump :
Welch Plug Kit - Engine :
Welch Plug Kit - Head :
Thermostat :​

The B does have precups. Definitely need those.

You can probably cross the oil pump off your list; the pump is an integral part of the timing case and fairly robust. You can replace the two gears but they're quite expensive and the body of knowledge here in Diesel Tech as I read it says that the gears are rarely worn. Completely replacing the pump means replacing the timing case too which is not realistic, IMO. I can't recall anyone here who had an oil pressure problem on a B series and solved it with a pump replacement; its usually bearings.

... that said, the pump will be a complete disaster to replace after the fact if its necessary. Soo good luck making that call. :D

Yes!! PLEASE make that happen!! :D

You could call it the "GayBee"

I am starting to have serious doubts about my mechanic selection for this project:doh:

My advice, find a 3B. Parts are scarce for it and even more so with the B. Any reason to keep the B?

My advice, find a 3B. Parts are scarce for it and even more so with the B. Any reason to keep the B?

Price and location were a big reason for my purchase of the B it was a good deal I couldn't pass up. I agree the 3B would be a better canidate but it is to late to turn back at this point. I realize the B may be a little under powered in a FJ45, but I am hoping a modest turbo with help make it liveable :beer:

Look forward to everyones insight and advice :beer:

Well I just tore apart a B and was going to rebuild it. But I was hoping for just a re-ring, was not possible as the cylinders were worn.:doh: They cleaned up nicely as they had a few minor scores, but after honing and ring prep I ended up with .007" piston to cylinder clearance so it was beyond the max of .005". Everything else with the engine was mint, including oil pump and cam.

I am now hunting down a 3B.

So if you end up needing some of those parts drop me a PM.

I also have a power steering bracket and pump set-up for the B.

RooDogs in Australia have a great deal on rebuild kits with great service.:cheers:

Good Luck
Daryl

Well I just tore apart a B and was going to rebuild it. But I was hoping for just a re-ring, was not possible as the cylinders were worn.:doh: They cleaned up nicely as they had a few minor scores, but after honing and ring prep I ended up with .007" piston to cylinder clearance so it was beyond the max of .005". Everything else with the engine was mint, including oil pump and cam.

RooDogs in Australia have a great deal on rebuild kits with great service.:cheers:

Good Luck
Daryl

Thanks for the info. Daryl and I will keep you in mind once we tear into the engine!

Maybe you should just buy a B, I know a guy seliing one with accessories, trans and transfer. $1000

Good Luck
Daryl

Just see if anyone makes a remotely acceptable oversized piston.

OR... you could bore and sleeve the engine.

Best,

T

I tried to find an oversize piston. I did, but they were $100 a piece and shipping was 3 months and $250 as it was comming from europe. That was less than $200 for a complete rebuild kit from RooDogs, so IMOP not worth going oversize.
I decided a 3B was less work and as The Dude said parts are more readily available for the 3B.

Daryl

Just see if anyone makes a remotely acceptable oversized piston.

OR... you could bore and sleeve the engine.

Best,

T

$200 for an engine rebuild kit? Roodogs must have dropped their price since I last checked in - I thought they were the cheapest at about $600

Maybe I was not clear enough.... I said the 4 pistons plus shipping was around $200 less than the RooDogs complete rebuild kit.

At the time the rebuild kit was around $800 plus shipping

:cheers:
Daryl

$200 for an engine rebuild kit? Roodogs must have dropped their price since I last checked in - I thought they were the cheapest at about $600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom