"B" engine heater line routing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this the proper routing for the heater lines or does it matter? It's on my 1978 BJ40 "B" engine. Thanks.
IMG_0031.jpg

Good question. No it doesn't. I thought the core plugged but I took it out and soaked it in that off-the-shelf solution for cleaning heater cores. I then blew air through both the rear and front cores. Seemed to push air through fine? I have also ran the motor up to temperature with the rad cap off to bleed the air. This problem began a few years ago when I replaced the original 3-core radiator with a high efficiency 4-core. I had been living in the hills of B.C. and the motor was working pretty hard so I thought this a logical solution to keeping the temp down. Now that I live on the flats of Alaska, It takes everything that motor has to get warm enough to open the thermostat (I also installed a cooler opening thermostat). I'm stumped as the rear heater will put out heat for a bit then go cold while the front heater doesn't put out any heat at all. Before the new radiator it used to roast me out of the cab.

Thanks!

This is Filmpilot's BJ42 to show you what it SHOULD look like:

EngineFilmpilot.jpg

:beer:
EngineFilmpilot.jpg

What a gorgeous looking motor. Has it ever been started up?

What a gorgeous looking motor. Has it ever been started up?

I remember reading that the first owner lived in Cambridge New Zealand. Then apparently it was shipped to America for a full restoration.

I know little more than that.

Falco80 - Thanks! mine are now routed just like yours. Heater still doesn't work but I can rule out the hoses being reversed.

If you've got no heat after putting in a bigger radiator I bet your thermostat isn't working.

Many people install the wrong type too.

It should look like this:

Thermostat1.jpg

PS. I'm assuming the flow-control valve (Warm Pull) works on the firewall there.
Thermostat1.jpg

I've replaced the t-stat once but I am beginning to think that it might be the culprit. I'll do the hot-water trick to see if it operates. Perhaps time for a new one anyways since it has been a few years since I replaced it and over the past few years the cruiser has sat more than ran.

By the way, where do those two black coolant lines to the left of the t-stat housing go? Mine have been blocked off since I purchased the cruiser in 1989.

I've replaced the t-stat once but I am beginning to think that it might be the culprit. I'll do the hot-water trick to see if it operates. Perhaps time for a new one anyways since it has been a few years since I replaced it and over the past few years the cruiser has sat more than ran.

Hi Spelant

No need for the hot-water trick because if your thermostat wasn't opening, the effect would be to make your heater work tremendously (but you'd have the annoying side-effect of an overheating engine).

It is a "stuck-open thermostat" or "wrong type of thermostat" (which I think is more likely) that is likely be your problem in my opinion.

By the way, where do those two black coolant lines to the left of the t-stat housing go? Mine have been blocked off since I purchased the cruiser in 1989.

Oil cooler.

You've just reminded me about this image I labelled some time ago that could well be helpful to you:

CoolantFlow.JPG

(I always like to get into the "nuts and bolts of things" to see exactly how they work.)

Oh... And here's a pic of my oil cooler (and another of where it fits) which may be useful too:

OilCooler2.jpg
OilCooler1.jpg

:cheers:
CoolantFlow.JPG
OilCooler2.jpg
OilCooler1.jpg

Beat me to it Tom! :lol:

Yep, those lines go to your small oil cooler. Bit of a tight area with the alternator sitting there. I think they would be the most neglected hoses on a B diesel due to the location. :hmm:
BJ40HH2.jpg
BJ40HH3.jpg
BJ40HH4.jpg
BJ40HH2.jpg
BJ40HH3.jpg
BJ40HH4.jpg

Thanks for the pics! The "A-ha!" light went on in my head. The question of where those hoses go and what they do has pestered me for almost 20 years.The first picture attached show what I have now. Following in the vein of oil coolers, do any of you have this odd loop extension out of your oil pan? (last two pictures). I assume it was for some sort of oil cooler. I don't know if the p.o. installed it or if it was factory. BTW - the rust is from sitting. I just filled her up yesterday and noticed the last time I filled it up was 06 June, 2008.
tstat 01.jpg
oilpan 01.jpg
oilpan 02.jpg

I would say that is PO handywork. (I wonder what it looks like inside the oil pan/sump.)

By the way, this is what I mean with the thermostat:

ThermostatClosed.jpg

ThermostHot.jpg

Many people install the type without the "base stem". And if someone's done that, you'll have poor coolant circulation through your heater.

:cheers:
ThermostatClosed.jpg
ThermostHot.jpg

Lostmarbles I sure appreciate the good advice. I'll pull the T-stat and take a look. IIRC I do not have the version with the stem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom