B-diesel injection pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
home.hccnet.nl
According to the maintenance schema in my owners manual (http://home.hccnet.nl/ton.rutgers/onderhoudschema.jpg) I should replace (a) pneumatic governor diaphragm and (b) injection pump oil every 20.000 km. Because I never heard about this, and couldn't find anything about this in the B-engine manual, I asked around at the German Landcruiser forum (http://buschtaxi.net).
I got the following responses:
-a- it is not necessary to replace the diaphragm every 20.000 km; just replace when broke (and it lasts a lot longer than 20.000 km);
-b- nobody heard about replacing injection pump oil.

What's the true story?
And - when necessary - how do I replace injection pump oil?

Ton

I replaced my diapragm for the first time at about 300,000kM. You'll know when it needs replacement 'cause your idle will do strange things. Mine engine nearly died each time I let up off the throttle.
The recommendation I got for the injection pump was to drain the pump at each oil change (it uses engine oil). There is a small plug towards the lower half of the rear of the pump. If you remove that plug (some pumps have a one way valve and don't need this maintenance) then a few thimble fulls of oil will drain out. Don't forget to replace the plug when done. :cheers:

My brother had a 3B. He change his diaphragm at about 200,000. It was made of leather (I think) and was dried. The strange idle ... goes going up and up and up. We slowdowned with the idling adjusting screw but it kept going up, slowly (each month) but surely (about 200 rpm each time).

After few months, we were not able to slow it down (completely closed) and the engine expelled blue smoke when compressing. We found the culprit, the infamous :-[ diaphragm, replaced it and the blue smoke disappeared. I suspect that the intake vacuum was so important that some oil passthrough the intake valve oil seal.

Now, another happy owner rides it :D

P.S.: We never changed the oil in the fuel pump. Shall we in our 3B? Don't know? Is the cause of the dried diaphragm? May be!

While we're on the subject of 3B injection pumps--
Is it true that the diaphragm should be periodicly lubricated with Neats-foot oil?
We keep it in the house for treating ball mitts! Same stuff??
moT

Tom,
You could lubricate it with that oil if you wanted to. I'm not sure how you would go about doing that though. It's not the easiest thing to get to, especially when the pump is on the engine (I changed it while it was on the engine so it is possible). If you pull the pump off you throw off the injection timing so you don't want to be doing that too often!
For me, if it lasts 300,000 kM I won't complain too much.

What was that you were saying?
Sorry, I guess I was mesmerized by Perfect Obsession's avitar!

Isn't there a plug on top of the Fuel pump that you remove to oil the diaphragm?

I have not noticed if there is a plug to oil the diaphragm up high. There is a plug lower down to drain the injection pump of oil.

My "Maintenance Procedures' manual shows a small screw plug on the top of the governor housing. I've never actually looked for it on the engine.

Well, I don't see it on your diagram!
I looked on my engine today and I saw a small (maybe 10mm?) hex head bolt with a screw slot in the top of the governor. Could be the one, I'm not sure.
Here is the section from my manual:

I have made two pictures from different angles of my injection pump and marked a few bolts with colored lines:
http://home.hccnet.nl/ton.rutgers/ip_1.jpg
http://home.hccnet.nl/ton.rutgers/ip_2.jpg

I know the bolt marked with the yellow line is for bleeding the pump.

@Cruiser_guy: which bolt is for draining the oil? And do you mean with "Don't forget to replace the plug when done" to use a *new* plug?

@Tom: is the bolt marked with the green line the one to oil the diaphragm?

Ton

The plug with the red line is for draining the oil. You'll only get a few thimble fulls of oil, it probably won't even make it to the floor!
Sometimes, but not in your case, there is a one way valve in that location. You don't need a new bolt just put the old one back in.
I just mentioned it because, until you get used to it, all you do for an oil change is on the other side where the filter is or underneath at the drain plug.
:cheers:

The one that you have marked green is the one that I "think" is right! ;)

I just have to say I love all the diesel talk on these boards lately - B cruisers UNITE!

Finally got mine running, she is now idling in the driveway charging up her batteries a bit...

Does anybody knows what is the difference between the 3 color metal tag on 3B engine injection pump
some are yellow, some are red , some are green ???

somebody tell me that it is because there are different settings ???

According to the maintenance schema in my owners manual (http://home.hccnet.nl/ton.rutgers/onderhoudschema.jpg) I should replace (a) pneumatic governor diaphragm and (b) injection pump oil every 20.000 km. Because I never heard about this, and couldn't find anything about this in the B-engine manual, I asked around at the German Landcruiser forum (Buschtaxi.net – Addicted to Toyota Land Cruiser, Hilux, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Megacruier, Bandeirante, Tundra, Tacoma…to Toyota's Offroad Icons!).
I got the following responses:
-a- it is not necessary to replace the diaphragm every 20.000 km; just replace when broke (and it lasts a lot longer than 20.000 km);
-b- nobody heard about replacing injection pump oil.

What's the true story?
And - when necessary - how do I replace injection pump oil?

Ton
hi , like all answered the diaphragm should't replaced until it brokes another story the pump oil :
i know that only the early bj (1970-75 here in italy) have the IP lubricated by its own oil
(still engine oil but the pump has its own tank ) , then Toyota changed and the "new" IP were lubricated by the engine oil
for this reason ( like said ) every motor oil change you have to discharge the IP.

cheers

a curiosity : i saw only one of these pumps many years ago and i rember that it hadn't the start position like edic system but a lever on the dash to enrich the fuel during the start

Last edited:
Hi - my IP dpes not have a drain bolt at the bottom. Do you drain the IP oil
by loosening the IP oil banjo bolt at the oil pump ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom