Az. Peace Trail - OHVs vs. Full Size Rigs??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.....a little birdie told me some of the OHV crowd have been placing metal poles/stakes along portions of the Peace Trail to deter full size rigs.
  1. Is this legal?
  2. Is this done to prevent FS rigs going down certain sections where it's known they'll likely get stuck, can't turn around, etc.? Meaning maybe they're trying to be helpful....
  3. Is this a total dick move intentionally creating some "us vs. them" trail usage?
Input and education welcome - thanks in advance!

--T

Hey all.....a little birdie told me some of the OHV crowd have been placing metal poles/stakes along portions of the Peace Trail to deter full size rigs.
  1. Is this legal?
  2. Is this done to prevent FS rigs going down certain sections where it's known they'll likely get stuck, can't turn around, etc.? Meaning maybe they're trying to be helpful....
  3. Is this a total dick move intentionally creating some "us vs. them" trail usage?
Input and education welcome - thanks in advance!

--T
As far as motives are concerned it is anyones guess. If they are not putting up warning signs explaining intent I would discount this being done to be helpful.

I don’t think it is legal to modify trails like this without approval. (Read paying money to tha man)

I didn't see anything a few weeks ago when I went from Quartzite to Kingman.

I didn't see anything a few weeks ago when I went from Quartzite to Kingman.

Good to know. I'm possibly doing Quartzite to Yuma next month.....I'll report back if I find out anything else worth sharing.

Thanks guys....

who's the "ohv" crowd? Are you implying whoever they are, are staking/booby trapping trails, for deliberate damage?

its a legit trail, and the "gates" are being placed on spur trails off the main peace trail not suitable for larger vehicles, maybe has something to do with the boom in "overlanding" and alot of those folks not really experienced off roa?.

buy the book, download the tracks, its a great trail that alot of clubs, BLM, forest service ect have cooperated on.

Last edited:
For the record (and because advocating for OHV recreation is what I do) 'OHV' is 'Off-Highway Vehicle'. Meaning anything that goes off the highway, including full-size 4x4's. I'm not aware of any term or acronym for everything except full-size. SxS, UTV, ATV, MC are the terms I'm familiar with.

For the record (and because advocating for OHV recreation is what I do) 'OHV' is 'Off-Highway Vehicle'. Meaning anything that goes off the highway, including full-size 4x4's. I'm not aware of any term or acronym for everything except full-size. SxS, UTV, ATV, MC are the terms I'm familiar with.

since your making a record, OHV is weight restricted to 1,800lbs,,, cant get an OHV sticker for your cruiser:grinpimp:

since your making a record, OHV is weight restricted to 1,800lbs,,, cant get an OHV sticker for your cruiser:grinpimp:
To be accurate, the weight specification for the Arizona state requirement to have a decal is 2500 pounds or less. And that not the definition of an OHV, it's just the definition of which OHV's need to have the decal.

So anyway.....I was interested if anyone had knowledge of folks placing obstacles on this trail. It was simply something that was brought to my attention as a possibility so I figured I'd ask here knowing this club gets out on quite a few trails. Doesn't sound like anyone has real knowledge of it happening, that's a good thing.

If "OHV crowd" rubbed anyone the wrong way, it wasn't intended to. Cheers!

So anyway.....I was interested if anyone had knowledge of folks placing obstacles on this trail. It was simply something that was brought to my attention as a possibility so I figured I'd ask here knowing this club gets out on quite a few trails. Doesn't sound like anyone has real knowledge of it happening, that's a good thing.

to be a bit more specific, as of last month when i ran half of the peace trail with a mojave rd and bradshaw trail loop i saw nothing on the main trail, just on the more technical, or difficult spurs.

Not at all, I just have an interest in keeping 'OHV' from becoming a term associated with 'not full sized' and any potential negative connotations that it might then imply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom