@Ayune's Overhead ScanGuage Mount Review: Installed in a LX470 w/ Homelink (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hokie LX

SILVER Star
Threads
Wanted to post a thread to detail the installation of this Scanguage mount in my 2003 LX470. I messaged @Ayune a while ago when I first saw the thread on his overhead mount. He reached out saying he had one available and I jumped on it.

What I received:
39933359273_5769be0ffb_b.jpg

Included the mount, a female to female RJ45 connector and an extension cable, and some adhesive padding to secure the fit of the scanguage in the mount.
46898260421_20944b68c7_b.jpg

This is what I was working with in my truck. Sorry for the poor lighting. LX overhead with sunglass pocket and homelink.
47161016251_08ab5e0cbf_b.jpg

32219126777_e701772a91_b.jpg

Backside of the stock unit:
31956884007_fa81a478c9_b.jpg

Ayune's mount painted. I used Krylon 4291 Camouflage Khaki spraypaint and it's a decent match. Honestly, while driving you can't notice a difference.
46898258131_ef5bf80b4a_b.jpg

I had to cut out the homelink antenna from the back of the sunglasses pocket with an x-acto knife.
33022841678_60d75598b1_b.jpg

I ended up using some of the velcro that came with the scangauge to secure the homelink sensor to the back of the scanguage mount. No issues at all with fitment up in the headliner or rattling of any kind.
46846180602_b1b71c689b_b.jpg

Then you do the wiring and done! I did not utilize the map light locations in the mount as I already had map lights built in.
45983600445_6a581c08d3_b.jpg

This is more or less from my eye level in driving position:
33022841838_d09596aac2_b.jpg

Now onto the fitment and review of the mount. For the record I am 6' tall. Visibility of the display is good. I can see about 80% of the top row of data on the scanguage in my normal driving position without having to bend my head down. Overall the fitment is good in the existing sunglasses holder pocket. Slight gap here and there but I wouldn't expect a single design to fit every variation of overhead console perfectly. The small gaps that do exist are not visible while driving. Mount sits flush and overall I am very happy with it!

Additional fitment and visibility pics:
46173303474_78da2f41af_b.jpg

33022842758_72d745d5ba_b.jpg

I want one.

They are very nice. I have really enjoyed mine. Came with everything to make the installation as Plug and Play as possible. Excellent instructions. I've had quite a few folks riding in the LX notice the ScanGauge and inquire about how it was mounted once I told them it wasn't factory.

Overhead6.jpg

such a clean set up

I love how clean it looks. I've got the console with the 3 buttons on the underside but I've been on the lookout for a compatible console to replace it with so I can run the scangauge up there with Ayune's mount. Mine's currently clipped into the edge of the headliner, behind the visor.

I love how clean it looks. I've got the console with the 3 buttons on the underside but I've been on the lookout for a compatible console to replace it with so I can run the scangauge up there with Ayune's mount. Mine's currently clipped into the edge of the headliner, behind the visor.

That's what had to do (find a different console) but it was worth it.

I didn't know this was a thing! What year LX was this in and is this mount still available? Where has this been all my life!!!!

Yup, that's the one I have. I don't currently use the Homelink buttons but don't want to lose the function. Did the console you replaced it with keep the function?
Nope.

I didn't know this was a thing! What year LX was this in and is this mount still available? Where has this been all my life!!!!

2003, as stated in the OP. 👍
Yup, that's the one I have. I don't currently use the Homelink buttons but don't want to lose the function. Did the console you replaced it with keep the function?

You'd need to get a console similar to the one I have. I retained homelink with no issues since the buttons are on the front of the console.

Reactions: BEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom