@Ayunes Overhead mount for ScanGauge. Excellent. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi @flintknapper, I’m working with @thetoyotaman to get an LX console in my hands. The outward shape may be the same as the LC but it’s the internal mounting points that I’d like to verify.

I’m confident we’ll get an LX mount out of this effort, thanks!

Good deal. If you end making anything for the smaller 'Home Link' (smaller ScanGauge mount or just something for Aux. switches, let me know). I have an overhead that I can send you for that.

Good Job Sir.

Flint.

Pics of the 03 overhead console with Lexus link. Note the section folds open with a gentle plastic pry tool and a hidden mounting screw is underneath.
37731C54-DCC3-42B9-8470-67D3DF5B4763.jpeg
483EF22F-D53E-4B09-B488-1EA661A751CD.jpeg

Noticed an extra plug in the headliner sticking through the passenger side. Anyone know what this is for?
AAE70364-6758-4E76-BC4C-75F234A296A3.jpeg
EC512759-277D-4787-9339-861DA1368E05.jpeg

@Ayune, I've gotta have one of these mounts!

They give the ScanGauge a very finished/factory appearance...no doubt about that. Also, it gets the unit out of normal sight of would-be thieves. The cost to replace a stolen ScanGauge is not excessive, but the most likely scenario would involve a smashed door window...which I don't want. Of course, this applies to all valuables that might encourage a 'smash & grab'.

I DO like the 'line of sight' provided with installations such as (top of steering column, dash mount, ash-tray, center console). Those are well suited for those who want to constantly monitor the unit. I don't have that need...so occasionally checking it with a quick glance upward is sufficient for me.

The only drawback I have found with the overhead location is a limited view of the screen IF you are significantly taller than normal. I am 6'-5" and even with the seat run all the back and down, I can only see the bottom two parameters on the screen without tilting my head down to see the others. But I have selected my Coolant Temp and Trans Temp to be at the bottom and they are the ones I am most interested in.

For folks of normal height this should not be an issue.

Thanks @flintknapper for the insight. Funny, two of my “beta testers” are quite tall and both of you had the same feedback. Those of us of more average height should have a clearer view of the whole display. :)

Thanks to @thetoyotaman I’ve had a chance to examine an ‘03 LX console with Homelink and the voice memo gizmo (see pics below). Since there are so many electrical do-dads mounted to the top of the LX cubby a better approach would be to offer a ScanGauge mount that replaces the swing-down panel instead of the entire cubby like the original design. That way Homelink-enabled owners could keep the Homelink functionality (and the roof screw attachment point) with the ScanGauge mount replacing just the swing down panel. Only features found on this panel would be eliminated.

I’ll work on getting something like this designed soon. For non-Homelink owners I’ll still have the original replace-the-entire-cubby mount available, but for that version to work with a Homelink console you’d have to discard or relocate the Homelink electronics box and antenna. Neither easy nor ideal.

Stay tuned...

DC8EBA8E-6751-40CB-AB2C-0C6F4B0C40B1.jpeg

13ECFC91-832E-40A5-BE02-011B85AB5792.jpeg

For comparison, here is a non-Homelink console:

68FE9A86-5703-4F80-B996-18E6B2A1E521.jpeg

Now to figure out how to program the Scan Gauge for trans temp...

@thetoyotaman ScanGauge trans temp setup codes for my '98 LC:

TXD – 686AF101B4
RXF – 044105B40000
RXD – 2808
MTH – 00090005FFD8

Worked for my 99 LX as well. Just follow the instructions in the ScanGauge manual to access the X-Gauge code settings, enter the above (in their respective locations) and it should work.

Any updates? Got my Scanguage II for Xmas and is sitting patiently awaiting its new home! Hope beta testing is going wlel

Hook it up and place it somewhere where you can see it for the time being. This will let you start 'using' it right away and play with the different functions (screen color, intensity, read out locations, etc).

I have one in both of our vehicles and really like them.

🍿

Wow, this kinda took off didn't it... Sorry for coming late to the party, but indeed I've created this mount and I'll be offering it for sale shortly. I'll start a separate thread as soon as I figure out the logistics, thanks for your patience.

First, to clarify fitment:

- The mount fits the ScanGauge II only, not the smaller ScanGauge E.

- YES, it will fit the console pictured below which has a hinged compartment for an owner's garage door opener:
View attachment 1840266

- MAYBE it will fit the console pictured below with a hinged sunglasses pocket & Homelink (@Raj Singh has graciously agreed to send me his console to confirm fitment, I'll update once I get it):
View attachment 1840264

- NO, it will not fit the console below with Homelink:
View attachment 1840265
@od4x4 Regarding fitting to the above console, the small Homelink panel isn't big enough for a mount-from-above part, but I could possibly design a part that mounts from below into a larger opening that a brave owner is willing to cut into their console. This new part would have a wide lip around its edge to cover the rough edges of the new cutout. I would need to get a console like this in my hands to measure and confirm fitment, is anyone willing to part with theirs for a couple weeks?

Regarding price
, the mount alone costs me about $140 from the 3D printers, before shipping. The added parts (switch, LED lights, RJ45 extension cable & coupling, wiring, shipping) adds another $42, so all together this is about a $190 item before any contributions to my kids' college funds. Good thing I have a day job for that...

My plan is to offer two kits:
  • Mount only without lights or switch
  • Mount with LED lights and switch

Again, I'll be posting a formal thread on how to purchase soon. And thank you all for your interest!

@TLEXAS @hatchethead @Hokie LX @mrahc @BlueMica @LostAfrican @flintknapper @thatcabledude @TEC3 @half k cruiser @Higgin @heymarv

Definitely interested as well!

Interested and following. I have the type that will definitely work. I assume those haven't been produced yet for purchase, or did I miss it?

My HomeLink needs to go!

Would love one of these for my ScanGauge II.

2001 LX470 Homelink.jpeg

Interested too! As much as love recording memos, this would be far more useful.

C'monnnnnn let get this doneeee

Hah.

Patience, perfection takes time.

I guarantee whatever he comes up with will be professionally done.

Even after all the trial and error...when its production time, it takes a long time to 3D print these things.

My HomeLink needs to go!

Would love one of these for my ScanGauge II.

View attachment 1908928

I pulled my Homelink button plate off and cut
out the two thin cross members behind it. My Scangauge II jams in the opening perfectly. I can angle it a bit, but it doesn't hang down enough without support. I could easily make a mount out of Sugru or epoxy it in, but waiting to see what @Ayune comes up with. My Scanguage lives in the ashtray for now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom