AXT 3B Air Intake Elbow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fullnelson

IH8MUD Regular
SILVER Star
Threads
Okay, I got my AXT installed on my 3B. I can't find a 90 degree 2 3/8" I.D. hose to connect the cross pipe from the turbo to the Intake Manifold. I tried a search on here, NAPA, and SOR. I'd love to get a silicone hose if possible, but at this point I really just want to get it together before the FJCTT starts up again.

Thanks,

Chris

That elbow is part of the OEM setup.

Find one on ebay. alot of turbo piping and elbows

I've got two hose clamps at each end of mine!! It's popped off once.

I had the oem split at the seam and replaced it with a rad hose form napa.

Some of the EFI systems on other makes have nice 90 degree elbows in rubber tube (like rad tube). Try some Fords (F series trucks with EFI, some of the vans). You could also buy a mandrel bent elbow from a custom exhaust shop, and they are also available on eBay from the custom turbo shops.

search around and eventually you should find a decent price on a silicone elbow. there seems to be a lot of expensive ones but eveyonce in a while you find them for cheap.

most everything else wont hold up to the heat and pressure, except rad rad hose, dont bother with anything other than these two options.

good luck and post up some pics!

Thanks for the info. It looks like the silicone shop has 2 1/4" elbows. I guess I can stretch that, although I've never messed with silicone before (all the ladies in my life have been natural ;) ).

I checked Carquest today and wound up getting a 24718 fuel filler hose. It looks like it will work with some trimming. I'll report back tomorrow. Don't hold your breath for pictures though, that's beyond my computer abilities. It's always telling me the file is too large, then when I try to follow the steps to resize it never has worked for me. Sorry.

Thanks for the offer Tapage.

Wes, do you think standard hose clamps are adequate?

I still have to fab up my air cleaner. I am going to try to use an FJ62 air cleaner housing. It will be a tight fit though. I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to hear my turbo whine. :shotts:

They will work but hose clamps are not ideal for turbo hoses under pressure. Coolant hoses have pressure too but I can't remember is normal operating psi. It's not all that much though. If you're planning to run more than 7-8psi I'd upgrade them.

Hose clamps pinch the hose where you tighten them. A turbo hose clamp privides equal pressure on the hose all the way around. They arn't cheap but I would use them. http://www.turbohoses.com/Clamp.htm Interesting they have a worm clamp they claim as stronger, I wonder if that is only due to 8 screw threads on the clamp and if it still pinches the hose where the tightening mechanism contacts the hose.

Looking forward to seeing it on the trail, although next time i'll probably see you on the trail you'll be working again :cheers:

I'd use the "T" clamps that the silicone hose places sell. They have better clamping pressure and the hose won't pop off so easily.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I am only planning on running 8psi of boost to start. I will see how it works with the hose I found, then consider upgrading. I'm running out of time with things I need to do before the Trail Team starts up again.

I noticed that the oil return line off the turbo has a pinch, so I made a 90 degree hose barb with three fittings. Hopefully that clears the inner fender, I don't want to go robbing my brand-new turbo of oil.

Yeah, tuuuurrrrbbbboooo:shotts: !

It works, and I'm driving it. What a difference, it's like a different Land Cruiser! The Carquest 24718 hose works great (trimmed the vertical part a few inches).

It is really thirsty for air, even at idle. I am using an FJ62 air cleaner housing and thinking I might need something less restrictive.

I used a 90 degree 5/8" barb to barb to keep the turbo oil return line from kinking. That is working prefectly.

Tapage, I tried to send you a picture, but it got bounced back.

What happens to the boost between shifts? There is no blow off valve. I know I should probably know that, but I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom