1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axles & birfs

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Romanknight, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Romanknight

Romanknight

Newbie here. Trying to find the "proper" name for the front and rear axles of 97
    FZJ 80s. Is it 9inch reverse front/ 93/4inch back? Been searching for four hours, w/out success.
    Also, what's the difference between Newfield and Longfield birfs? Is one more overkill than the other?
    TNX

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

newfields=suck
    longfields=good

3. wb1948

wb1948

It's the 8" ring and pinion that you also find in mini trucks. Atleast thats what the guy that is doing my gear swap told me.

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    front diff is a high pinion Toyota 8", similar to what's found in minitrucks (tho they are low-pinion)

rear diff is a Toyota 8.875 or 9.5", depending on where ya measure from and who ya talk with....exclusive to Toyota vehicles.

The entire axles are Toyota 80-series specific....not Dana or GM Corp or anything like that...(well, in the US it's 80 series specific...overseas is a larger market)

Longfields are the ticket in the front to replace the factory OEM birfields. I'm not aware of any aftermarket inner front axle shafts or rear full-float axle shafts for the 80-series.

5. Romanknight

Romanknight

Exactly what I wanted to know.
    Thanks, guys! :cheers: