Axles and Birfields, Again....Seriously? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@BILT4ME Did you use RCV Chromoly axles/birfs in your 75k experience? There seems to be more choices in Chromoly construction across the board, which makes sense I suppose as most are building for off road durability.

@BILT4ME Did you use RCV Chromoly axles/birfs in your 75k experience? There seems to be more choices in Chromoly construction across the board, which makes sense I suppose as most are building for off road durability.
No. I bought the "stock replacement" version. They are black in color.

The avatar thing is a funny aside. Kurt, I always assumed it was your pic. In the old days the avatar's mouth moved and appeared to say "I drive a Cruisah!". I've been off daily Mud for a time - what happened with the moving mouth?! It always cracked me up.

I have run chromoly birfields and, for a truck which gets wheeled hard and doesn’t see a ton of street use they are a pretty good option. We just installed a couple purchased from @cruiseroutfit into a truck which is primarily for trail use and I expect they will hold up for a long time to come.

I have a set of Longfields in my 80 which were ordered from Bobby Long before he passed, they currently have about 95k on them and they click pretty loud when the center diff is locked or the front locker is in use. Or when all the weight is on the front axle and I’m turning with all the diffs unlocked.

But somehow they have survived a LOT being thrown at them in their current condition; the hammers and a bunch of stuff locally. I would estimate they’ve been clicking like this for about 10k miles now.

Chromoly definitely wears faster, but the added material to the cage and the bell might also have something to do with why they haven’t just broken yet. I have a set of spares sitting at the shop, I just need the free time to tear into the axle and install them.

The avatar thing is a funny aside. Kurt, I always assumed it was your pic. In the old days the avatar's mouth moved and appeared to say "I drive a Cruisah!". I've been off daily Mud for a time - what happened with the moving mouth?! It always cracked me up.

It still moves if you open his profile

I have used Cozza shafts on my 80 series for just over a year. No complaints at all. I generally get a lot of my 80 series parts from Australia as they have a heap of 80 series still on the road and they have a bit of a cult following. I have been to Australia a few times. With the USD so strong against the AUD currently shopping at OnlineAutoParts is cheap.

It seemed to die with the vbulletin to Xenforo software change on Mud. I’ll see if I can resurrect him.

I've always assumed the avatar pic was an unflattering selfie.

I'm most often found gruff and unkempt but not thaaaaaat gruff. He's about twice my age too :D

Thanks to all, especially Kurt and team at Cruiser Outfitters. Most parts from Cruiser Outfitters including Japanese replacement birfs and drive flanges for road use on stock suspension/tires. These Japanese manufactured components look very good and of high quality. Now to find a day to pull it all together.

Hilarious! Funner had a point for sure, although not the cheapest solution it turned out to be reasonable and well suited for it's purpose.

Thanks to all, especially Kurt and team at Cruiser Outfitters. Most parts from Cruiser Outfitters including Japanese replacement birfs and drive flanges for road use on stock suspension/tires. These Japanese manufactured components look very good and of high quality. Now to find a day to pull it all together.

Thank you!

Get it all installed yet? :D

Well life got in the way but we now have some miles on the front axle and couldn't be happier. Cruiser Outfitters supplied fantastic support and parts and of course the mud community had our back. Trying to give back a little, but never enough. Thanks again all, S.
Pics showing out with old, in with the new.
IMG_0154.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0155.jpg

For the people that installed the Cozza Birf's .. how are they holding up after a couple of years ?

We used part number: FAXTBIRFFJ80 from Cruiser Outfitters for the build shown above and couldn't be happier. Several thousand miles now and the axle is dry, tight trouble free. Even the oem locker retrofit works as it should. I don't recall the Birf manufacturer and they still carry the same part number in stock. All street driving with occasional light off road, stock suspension and wheels.

Actually, this is the complete Cruiser Outfitter order for our build at the time.
ItemPNDescriptionQtyCruiserOutfitters
n/aFA9097KWB80 Series Knuckle Rebuild Kit (w- Wheel/Koyo Bearings)1$205.00$205.00
n/aHUBFLG6004080 Series Drive Flange (Japanese)2X$38.50$77.00
FAXTBIRFFJ80Birfield, Standard Replacement with ABS Ring2X$145.00$290.00
FAXT80FLHAxle, LH (Verbal price via IH8MUD with birfs) Aftermarket1X$65.00$65.00
FAXT80FRHAxle, RH (Verbal price via IH8MUD with birfs) Aftermarket1X$65.00$65.00
FA60080Spindle w/Bushing (Japanese)2X$145.00$290.00
Tax and Shipping (Estimated)$80.00
TOTAL (SHIPPED/TAX'D):$1,072.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom